Buckeye X RIR

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by punky rooster, Sep 8, 2010.

1. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    has anyone ever done this?
    [​IMG]
    what should i mix in to them?
    thanks punky

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    I would love to try to make a new breed with them any suggestions???
    or anyone want to help?

3. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    Punky, I have no doubt that the Buckeye x RIR cross would make a good dual purpose bird. I just dont know that I would try to mix the breeds. Personally, I dont have any RIR's simply because i am afraid I would get them mixed as chicks and or possibly screwup my buckeye flock if I allowed them to breed. Both Heritage breeds are already good dual purpose birds as they currently are, and both breeds are worthy of owning. I just cant see the point of mixing them together to start another breed. A cross for a Personal flock, meat and egg birds, maybe, but not for breeding.

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    my birds are confined so they cannot breed unless i put them together am i am just looking what i could mix into them
    punky [​IMG]

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I'd think those two would mix well for hybrid vigor to make some excellent meat birds. Other than that, there would be no real use for them. It depends on why you want to mix them really.

6. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    [​IMG] to see what i could make

7. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    Quote:A pea comb RIR. It has been suggested that in the late 1800's that Buckeyes where actually shipped to RIR breeders in an effort to improve the RIR. If this is so, then the cross you are proposeing has already been done.

8. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    no I have single combed chicks 2 from them

9. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Maybe throw in some EE? Possible blue egg layer / meat bird

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:A pea comb RIR. It has been suggested that in the late 1800's that Buckeyes where actually shipped to RIR breeders in an effort to improve the RIR. If this is so, then the cross you are proposeing has already been done.

There's was no Buckeye blood added to the Rhode Island Red. Might be that there is Pea Comb R.I. Red blood in the Buckeye but with all the well documented information out there on the R.I. Red not one time did I read that there even might be Buckeye blood added to the Rhode Island Red.

We know that Ms Metcalf did call her bird a Pea Comb RIR for a small time and that some breeders of the true Pea comb R.I. Reds started showing there there Pea comb R.I. Reds as Buckeyes. So my guess would be that there are a lot of Pea Comb Red blood in the Buckeye.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by