Buckshot got mauled by a dog

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by laughingllama75, Sep 1, 2008.

1. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    I am so upset right now. Yes, I know he is "just" a chicken. But he was my little buddy. One of my friends came over, with her idiot jack russels.......I told her a hundred times NEVER to bring them to my house. She did. One of them jumped ot the window as she drove in the yard, and started chasing my girls. Buckshot could only run, he doesnt fly. everyone else got to safety........[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I am waiting for my vet to call me back, but he is pretty bad. his legs are stone cold, and his eyes keep rapid fire dilating. He is not long for this world. If I dont hear from the vet, I will have to do "it" myself. God, I am SO MAD at said friend. Why didint she listen to me?????? I yelled and made her leave......I dont even remember what I said. :thun
    Thanks for listining.
    Here he was about a month ago.......I was going to take new pics yesterday, as he has changed so much. What a pretty serama he was turning out to be. and so loveable.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so sorry. I've had birds I sold to other people killed by a pack of those yapping jack russells. So many people have a thing against the pitbull breed? My loathing is for Jack Russells. Hate the nasty things, I must say. They are terrible around chickens usually, no matter what you do. Think I'd find new friends. (((hugs)))

3. laughingllama75

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Ha! I have no use for jacks either, BUT......I will say I do know it is not the dogs fault. they are bred to kill......it is as simple as that. Thats what terriers do......and do it well. Hers kills her chickens all the time....and her rabbits. She certainly does not do things they way I would. My llamas were going mental when the dog was here, I was hoping he would run in thier pen. I would be burying a dog right now. And yes, I need new friends. [​IMG]

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I'm so sorry and it doesn't matter if it was just a chicken like you say in your post. They are part of the family. It doesn't sound like you have much of a friend to ignore your wishes and wishes you have stressed many time's. I would be sooooo mad. I have 17 dog's and I'm a firm beliver that you have control of your dog's at all time's. Is your friend a complete idiot or one of those people with the attitude that it was only a chicken? Sound's like you need a new friend. I would never take my dog's to someone's home and allow them to do any damage and especially to someone's home that asked me not to bring them. That was total disrespect to you. Once again I'm so sorry.

5. laughingllama75

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Thanks guys.......even my non chicken loving hubby is upset. He had a nick name for him, and it was Sir-Peeps-A-Lot.
    [​IMG]

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so sorry. I am furious right along with you. Praying for your poor roo. [​IMG]
    I'm sure you're keeping him in a quiet dark-ish place for the moment, talking to him gently. A little Rescue Remedy if you have it or if someone can get it for you - darn Labor Day glitch - I know - I just spent hours and finally found a hospital that would see a suddenly very sick hen - she's in hospital now. Re: the RR, you can dribble a small amount mixed with water along his beak line if he can swallow - good in stressful situations..
    And don't worry - he isn't "just a chicken". He is a feeling being that you love and who loves you. Doesn't matter the "packaging".
    I will be thinking of you and roo and will check back.
    JJ

Edit to add p.s.
    Your sweet boy is in shock. Try also to keep him warm and if he swallows on his own, a bit of electrolytes....

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  7. laughingllama75

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    I gave him RR, right away. he is in the barn in his crate, as it is nice and quiet....I just checked him, and he is resting. his legs are stone cold. My friend (who is my vet) is on his way.
    [​IMG] dang it all to heck.........

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thank goodness the vet is a friend who will come to you. But dang it is right. I'm so mad I could spit nails for you.
    JJ

9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I'm so sorry. What a great friend you have, listening to you. [​IMG]
    I don't like Jack Russels, either. They seem to be very yappy and have too much energy.
    I hope your Buckshot make it. :aww

10. laughingllama75

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    He is now in Serama Heaven......he had 2 broken femurs.
    Thanks everyone, for the thoughts and kind words. He is going under the maple with my other beloved pets, I am so sad. Just this morning he came up the front steps and came in the house, looking for me....with a cricket in his mouth. I wish I ddint shoo him away so hastily. He loved his Momma, and I loved him. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by