Bucky is getting a little big for his britches

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by M To The Maxx, Jan 10, 2010.

1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Bucky has been charging me and attacked me a couple times for no reason. There have been a couple times where I have picked up one of his girls and then he attacks me to protect his girls which I understand. But for the past couple weeks now he has been charging me a giving me a couple blows in my feet and legs. When he charges me I kick him in the breast and then he runs off crying. [​IMG] But a couple times he has come back for more. I will not get rid of Bucky no matter what so don't even think about typing that. I have tried the method of picking him up and walking around with him in my arms and the 1 time I did that he bit me in the hand. Are there any other ways that I can show him that I am the alpha male? Should I try picking him up and walikng around with him again? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    You could try carrying a bottle of apple bitter and spraying him with it every time he charges. Usually the kicking thing works but it may take Bucky a few times to get the idea.

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Can you pick him up with heavy leather work gloves? He could bite with no effect and may get the message from being carried this way.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Well, besides kicking...

I pull on mine's hackle feathers. Just a quick yank, like the birds do to each other. Then I chase him around like I'm herding him (mostly he tries to exert dominance by herding me around, rather than fighting me) and give him a yank of the tail feathers or similar chicken-like peck to make him get out of my way. I push him around with my foot if he won't move, but I've never had the need to really kick him.
    We get along well, even if he does attempt to challenge me once in a while - he's not really mean. The head rooster will chase the others around a bit at random times, just to enforce his status, so I do that if I get any hint that he miiiiight even be thinking about anything.

One time he attacked my dog right in front of me and I grabbed whatever I could get. He didn't appreciate being picked up by one leg [​IMG] but it's not good to hold them upside down so I don't recommend doing it on purpose! I held him football-style as "punishment" after I got him to quit flopping around.

Things have been pretty peaceful around here, despite that I have 5 males in the yard right now [​IMG]

This was a good thread for you https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=281201

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Thanks for all the info everyone.

6. SC_Hugh

SC_Hugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    My roo doesn't like me picking up his girls either, but I have to do it once in a while for hen hugs [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] So when I let the hen down again, I don't allow him charge the hen and mate with her right away (boys [​IMG]). Little Ricky starts doing his stompy fit and I just stand tall and herd him away from the flock...message to him that I am in charge. Then, I pick him up and give him some love and attention or I let him back to see his girls, either way it is my decision and not his.

I always wear long sleeves when I handle my rooster, never had to wear gloves...yet. I hold him like a football with my right arm, with his legs dangling straight down then I cross my left arm across my body to guard my face and I can pet him and block against a strike...I don't trust that evil eye rooster stare of his [​IMG]

Yesterday, my roo pecked my wife's hand and drew blood (first blood ever) as she was opening their pop door in the morning, so today I poked him back from the pop door before I reached in there and he was fine today.

Stay safe,

--Hugh

7. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Be very careful with biting roo's. A 14wk old bit DW last Wednesday requiring stitches. Did I mention that she is going to be biting it back for supper tonight?

8. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    My roo is never agressive twords ME (though I get the eye every once in a while), but I brought him up as a chick to understand I am the boss [​IMG] . If he is bratty with the girls I use my fingers to "peck" him on the back like I was alpha roo. I also chase him around and football hold him. Keep a stick handy (I keep one in the coop for easy access) just in case.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I hope you can find a way to coexist with Bucky, but Maxx, you know my position. I think they rarely are truly "fixed". Sorry, buddy. Been there.

10. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I would give the random chase and tail feather tug a try. My chickens see me as head roo, but I am guessing this is because I periodically have to chase them back into their coop or catch them for their own safety. I also think it is an energy they pick up on. Best of success to you and Bucky!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by