Bucky Milk

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rstaffe, Jun 1, 2010.

1. rstaffe

rstaffe New Egg

Jun 1, 2010
    I recently purchased an Alpine doe in milk. She had a buck smell on her when we they brought her to us yesterday, so I know she's been close to a buck. Her milk is just horrible. How long does it take for this bucky milk taste to pass? We've been milking her twice a day.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    My understanding is it is her hormones causing the funky milk taste. It can take up to 2 weeks for it to pass. If you milk her, put the jar of milk in running, really cold water for about an 1/2 hour, then let it sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours, that may help the taste/smell. I have the same issue with taste/smell and I find letting it sit 1 day and get super cold seems to help- my goat is Saanen though and they are known for their mildness of flavor in their milk.

Hope this helped- if not, at least you got a bump, hopefully someone else will have better advice.

3. rstaffe

rstaffe New Egg

Jun 1, 2010
    Thanks Chillin', guess I'll just have to be patient....

4. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    Well...I've frankly never been a big believer in the idea that a buck's presence imparts so much "goatiness" to a doe's milk. I've read and heard enough for myself to be a believer in the idea that "goaty" flavor is the result of of the milk's caproic, caprylic, and capric acid content, much like the puke-ish smell and taste of parmesan cheese is a result of butyric acid.

I just can't see how it could possibly be the buck who controls the amount of caprylic or capric acid the doe imparts to the milk, unless there's something about a buck's scent that makes a doe produce more goaty acid.. Could be, I suppose..

I guess all you can really do is try to get her cleaned up and see if the milk improves.

5. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Quote:I agree Cmjusto- I dont think its the actual presence of the buck, although a smelly, hormonal buck 'could' leave an odor ON the doe that could possibly transfer to the udder and teats, then into the milk, but I doubt it. The does' own hormonal reaction to the presence of the buck 'could' be dumping hormones into her milk causing a funky taste- I've heard that alot. Although, the doe can go into heat without a buck around and cause the same issue with milk flavor, also a common occurance, I'm told.

I would also consider her feed, and any changes in her diet. Humans that eat alot of one food, ie; garlic, will have a garlicky smell and taste to their breastmilk, so I would imagine the same would apply to goats, but thats just my hypothesis...

6. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    one thing i do when i am ready to refriderate fresh milk, DONT put the lid on the jar/jug untill the milk is COLD putting the milk in the fridge with a lid on it while its still warm traps the smells. also, make sure the teats are clean ( we wash with unscented baby wipes) and make sure you are straining all the milk . one hair in the milk can ruin a whole jar!

we feed our milking does horse quality alfalfa hay and they get a scoop of sweet feed while we are milking them

7. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    It is likely the doe never had good milk. When I had my dairy on occasion I would run a buck with the does and his presence did not affect the flavor of the milk. I once had a buck that produced milk. I had to milk him out every few days or so. Once I sampled his milk. It was good. No bucky or off flavor at all.

8. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Quote:........ [​IMG] They can DO THAT?! Learn something new every day...

9. TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Quote:Forgive me but I just can get the rather innapropriate pictures out of my head, haha but that just sounds so bad...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by