Bucs - Bator -- Losing temp as surrounding temp lowers...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dwdoc, Feb 6, 2011.

1. dwdoc

dwdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    Hello All,

I spent hours researching incubators online. But, I had a real tough time parting with $100 - $150 bucks. So I did some rummaging around the house. Here is what I came up with.

Image one - The Bucs-Bator:

[​IMG]

Image two - The window came from an old picture frame.

[​IMG]

Image three - The light fixture was an extra light left from a curio cabinet, the fan was pulled out of an old power inverter that no longer worked (I had to power it through an old 12v transformer for some old device that I no longer use).

[​IMG]

Image four - The hygrometer came from a small cigar humidor that I have never used and the holes in the back will allow me to control temp and humidity.

[​IMG]

Image five - This is a pie tin from the cupboard (I may not use this for water until lock down as it gives me the 70% humidity - I am thinking of using a smaller container with less surface are to reduce the humidity to about 60% during incubation) and chicken wire already on hand from building the coop.

[​IMG]

Image six - My only purchase a thermometer/Hygrometer $6.50 at Wal-Mart.

[​IMG]

This incubator has been on for three hours and was remaining a steady at 99.1F and 70%.

However, now that it is cooling down outside I am starting to losing temp...Any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

put a thick towel over the window?

3. dwdoc

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    Quote:LOL...I wonder why I did not think of that. That is why I joined BYC...THANKS!

I'll test that out.

4. rickerra

rickerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Looking good. Some ideas for improvement...

What watt bulb are you using? A higher watt bulb will put off more heat into the box.
    How are you controlling temps and humidity? 70% sounds too high for days 1-18... a smaller water tray will drop that down.

I see you used chicken wire for your wire shelf. You will need to put something over that before you lockdown on day 18. Chicks will have a very hard time walking/standing on that once they hatch.

You should consider adding thermal mass (sealed jar of water, bricks, tiles, etc.)... anything that can absorb and hold heat. It will help stabilize your temps and reduce the affects of temperature swings.

Your vent holes are huge! If you popped both of them open... wow... it'd lose a lot of heat/humidity quick. Do you have any vent holes on the lid? Do you have a vent hole behind the fan?

Are you laying the eggs on the wire shelf and hand turning them? Or using the propped-up egg carton method?

Cheers!

5. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Bucs Bator. I love it. [​IMG] lmao

6. dwdoc

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    Quote:I am using a 25w bulb, tried a 40w and I could not get the heat lower than 105f.

I will use a smaller water contrainer. Until lock down.

I will add a jar for thermal mass. I have a thermostat enroute via the web.

I do not expect my eggs until 22nd or 28th of this month. Plenty of time to work out the kinks.

Thank you so much for the advice.

The vent hole covers can be angled to fit my needs.

I intend to use the prop methed to turn the eggs and will be using a pad on top of the wire upon lock down.

7. rickerra

rickerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Quote:Yeah... 25W sounds a little low to get enough heat. Sounds like a 40W along with a thermostat of some sort could work. When you get it hooked up and up to temperature. Time your light ON cycle. If the light is having to stay ON 4-5+ minutes to reach desired temp... you might be better off with a 60W bulb that can pump in more heat quicker. This would shorten your ON cycle time and get the box up back up to upper temp faster which if adjusted right could minimize temp swings. Of course this also depends on the type of t-stat you got. I've seen some folks light bulbs cycle ON/OFF every second... very fast... but the t-stat is controlling it all and it holds temps well (must have been digital t-stat). Any sort of mechanical t-stat (like the water heater t-stat) won't be able to cycle that fast as the metal contacts/wafers/etc have to cool down to open the contacts and that can take a couple minutes.

Sounds like you are on the right track!

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by