BUDDY gets another chance...Trainer Came!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by thebritt, Jan 19, 2010.

1. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Buddy and the family is getting a visit (or 3) from a professional trainer. The first visit is to analyze the situation (aggressiveness with my GP), with possible follow-ups (3). Companion Animal Foundation is going to foot the bill ($200 for 4 visits), provided I (and family) folllow all recommendations (no problem). I love CAF! I sure hope Buddy and Ludwig (our GP) can work it out w/out bloodloss! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    [​IMG] Good for Buddy!

3. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

jeez, is it Cesar???? lol. I love the dog whisperer.

4. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Yay for Buddy! When is the trainer coming?

5. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    Wonderful news!! I wish your family and the dogs best of luck! [​IMG] Buddy is lucky to have someone so wonderful taking care of him now! Keep us posted.

6. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Thanks, all - I'll keep you posted. The trainer was supposed to call me yesterday, but no. Still on it!

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I hope you find a happy healthy resolution for all involved in the situation. [​IMG]

8. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    The trainer came on Saturday. She said there's hope for Buddy, based on the facts that he's a really fast learner, and VERY treat-driven. We are to work diligently on "Look at me", sit, down, and STAY (stay is the one that needs the most work with all our dogs). We have our work cut out for us, and she said Ludwig and Buddy may never be friends, but may learn to tolerate each other's presence. She said Buddy wants to be top dog, feels threatened by Ludwig (our GP), and wants him gone (not going to happen) - that's why he keeps attacking Ludwig (and getting his butt kicked). She also said she didn't see any reason Buddy couldn't be re-homed if he's well-trained. He'd be an awesome cow dog. Once, when he found a hole in the fence at the school (I took him there for exercise on a weekend), he ran into the woods - out of sight - in a big cow pasture. All the cows saw him in the woods and went running in his direction! I thought, Oh great - he's either gonna get trampled or shot! Well, moments later, all the cows came running out of the woods in a tight ball formation, with Buddy about 20 feet behind them! He directed the whole herd in my direction - like he was bringing all the cows TO ME! I yelled at him to COME! and he stopped herding them - they all stopped running - and he came to me...Weird.

9. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Quote:Sounds like he wants a job... What type of dog is Buddy?

10. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Buddy is a chow/McNab - heavy on the McNab (with purple spots on his tongue). His fur is McNabby as well - short and shiny, tail has very little curl to it. Weighs 43 lbs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by