1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Budget dried Mealworms!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Erinmir, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Erinmir

Erinmir Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    West Alexander, PA
    So, DH and I were at WalMart picking up a few sundries and I declared that we needed to go over to the bird food section so I could pick up some sunflower seeds for the flock. Now that they are at 4 weeks, they are very curious about things and I think they may be picking at the uneven feathering on the back of one of the WCBP's heads causing her have a bald spot. My thinking was to get some sunflower seeds to toss in the brooder so they have something to scratch for and keep them busy for awhile. I ended up picking up a bag of cracked sunflower seeds (no shells), will that be ok?

Anyhow, while over there, I found a bag of dried mealworms made by Kaytee to put out for wild birds! It is a 7oz bag and was around $7!! This got me excited as the only similar thing I've found was at TSC and was around $10 for about half that size bag. Wahoo! [​IMG] [​IMG] (gee, I guess you qualify as a crazy chicken lady when dried worms at a bargain price gets you excited!) [​IMG]

Now... just hoping they like them or I've got a LOT of dried worms to get rid of! [​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    [​IMG]

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Thanks for the post---and the tip. Nothing like saving on mealworms.

Why they go crazy for them, I don't know---but it is the best snack!!!!

You may search online too for wild bird supplies---when your chickens are bigger, and you begin to think that 7 ounces isn't enough.

I will start checking WalMart now...TSC prices are awfully high, but mealworms are a necessity of life.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Thanks, I've been wanting to get some for a pullet with some medical issues. I will go look tomorrow! [​IMG]

5. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Lowes also has a 6oz tub of mealworms for $6.99. TSC's little bag is only 3.5 oz and is priced higher. They definitely lost my business on mealworms!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by