1. Chook Chick

Chook Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Security, Colorado
    Hello fellow chicken peeps!

I need some suggestions, opinions and advice from those who have more knowledge and experience than me.

I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and our weather is crazy! I want to have a coop that will keep my future girls (3-4) warm in the winter and comfortable in the summer. Our weather has changed quite a bit in recent years. Cold in winter, bitter cold, even below freezing at times; wind chills, ice...you get the idea. Our Springtime starts to warm up and by summer we are roasting...literally. Our temps are in the upper 90's during the day and stays in the upper 60's to mid 70's at night.

I want the best kind of tractor coop I can have built or purchase on a budget of no more than $700.00, as I will need a run as well. I've seen alot of great coop designs here but no one lists what the materials COST.

I also am outside the city limits but still in a residential area; I can have up to 10 chickens if I wanted, but 3-4 will do for now. I want a tractor coop because I need to be able to move it myself if need be....and a run is an absolute as I have many predators in the area, to include hawks, owls, skunks, racoons and stray cats. [​IMG]

PLEASE lend me your words of wisdom.....I keep hearing that the manufactured coops aren't well built for the cost. I've looked on Craig's list and there are a few coops people have for sale but I have no way to pick one up, they don't deliver. I do have a neighbor that is willing to build a coop for me if necessary, we haven't talked price yet. I thought I'd do some more asking/shopping around first.

Thanks so much for any help!!

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Take a look at the free plans at Purina Mills website. You could modify it to be a tractor with some creativity.

Making a coop and run mobile will tend to make it more expensive because it has to be able to survive being moved. Nevertheless, a run of electric wire would move well and the electric shock would keep predators away.

Reviewing some of the displays of existing coop and run photographs on this site might give you more ideas.

Chris

3. Chook Chick

Feb 5, 2013
    Security, Colorado
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for responding. I did look at that model previously and that's what I'm hoping to build, with modifications as you said. I need to make a pen extension to go along with the coop.

I rent my home, my landlord said I may have chickens. I've lived in this home for going on 7 years now, and have no plans to move but I need to be prepared in any case.

I would just let them free range but am too afraid of all the stray cats, dogs and other predators around this neighborhood.

I've been looking at websites and plans from everywhere, Craig's List, etc.....

4. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Chook Chick..also from the Springs here. Altho I don't have a tractor, based on the cost of my coop, if you built it with all new materials, I would think you could do it for less than $150.00....just a guess. If you have the time and ability to scrounge material, even cheaper. If you haven't already, join us on the Colorado thread. Lotsa people there from the Springs area.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/68894/colorado/11370

5. cknkids

cknkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Camarillo, CA
    I think folks don't include the cost because they've way over spent. I know we did.

1 person likes this.
  6. Chook Chick

Feb 5, 2013
    Security, Colorado
    Hey gardendufus.....Great to talk with a neighbor! I have been over to the Colorado thread, thanks. I never realized having chickens was so popular!
    This darned winter weather is putting a damper on my coop building plans for sure!
    Let me ask, where do you buy your supplies from? What kind of coop do you have?

Trying to gather as much information as possible before I actually get my chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by