Budgie Breeding Project! *PICS*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by RioLindoAz, May 1, 2009.

1. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I finally decided it was time to breed my budgies!

I have Serenity and Tim in a breeding cage right now. After deciding that they would make wonderful parents, I added a nest to their cage. Let me just say this, they may be Budgies on the outside, but on the inside, they are totally lovebirds! They spend every minute of the day with each other, usually they preen and feed each other, but most of the time, they are just chatting away! Serenity and Tim have been in wonderful condition, so hopefully we can get some chicks soon! [​IMG]

The breeding cage consists of:
    -2 large and 2 small perches
    -Shredable, mirror, and sound making toys
    -a large piece of wood for shredding and for toenail maitanence
    -1 feeder and waterer
    -one decent sized parakeet nest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] I'm really excited! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ~Rio

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2009
  2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Congrats! I just put two pair in an xl bird cage. I found two crested budgies in the pet store and I bought them both, and girls to go with them. I hope to get a line of crested budgies going! I look for them all the time and never find any. One has double swirls on his head, which I have heard, and I HOPE... means he is homozygous (double gened) for the crested trait and all of his offspring will be single crested!

3. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I have two Budgie's I don't think they get along as well as yours do.

4. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I raised budgies several years back and was very successful at it. I started out with one pair and they did so well I got a couple of more pairs then chose babies from the 3 pairs to breed and I ended up with over 200 birds in all. That does include some that weren't for breeding. Just favorites that I just couldn't bare to sell. I would sell them to petshops. What they ned for breeding is a breeding box made of wood, and it needs to be connected to the cage from the outside. You need to be able to raise the door to check on them and candle and clean. Never clean the nest while there are eggs in it. Wait until the babies have pin feathers. IT will be pretty nasty too. You need to use a pressed board piece for the bottom ot the next box taht you can replace. They will chew this to make the nest. You can also put bits of string in the cage and they may or maynot use it for the nest. The pressed board neds to have a depression in it for them to start out with.

They do all the work just keep them with fresh water and plenty of food and treats. Millet is what I used, they love it. Hang a cuttle bone in the cage too. They get nutrients they need. Don't over breed them either. Remove the nest box from time to time.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

5. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:I put assorted wood shavings for the bottom of the nest. There has been lots of activity around the anest all day. They already have plenty of shreddable toys, and I only plan to breed them once a year. I read that cuddle bone may have some ingredients that may reduce fertility, so I'm going to stick with egg shells in their food. I'm just worried about Tim. He's always perching on the mirror toy. He loves it. He rarely comes off, only to eat. [​IMG]

I should have pics soon! [​IMG]

6. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    Im waiting *taps foot impatiently*

7. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:Relax... [​IMG]

I'm uploading the pics on Photobucket right now. [​IMG]

8. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:Good luck! [​IMG]

9. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Egg shell works good as well. I always had babies and eggs in nests so the cuttlebone didn't stop produciton at all. That was somewhere around 1090 so who knows whats in it now. What kind of next box do you have?

Someday I plan to have an outside Aviary and raise them again. I would like to open i up and let them go in and out as they please after about a year. I would also love to have some Cordon Blu's. I'm sure I didn't spell that right ut they are small little blue birds. Very pretty to look at. WE have them around here but there aren't very many. I would lke to bring more here.

I had sonme ther where called English Parakeets. They sounded like they barked. Anyway. They are some mean little birds. When I had so many It was imposible to clean all the cages everyday, my hubby built an inside Aviary. We put several nest boxes of different variety's so they wouldn't fight over them and then started to introduce young couples into it. We had the nests closed off until they all got to now each other and got along. Then we opened them up and they made their choices and started their little families. Everything went find until I introduced a couple of pair of the English. They decided they wanted to be boss and went in and killed the babies in almost all the boxes and crushed the eggs. By the time I got to them and got them out they had almost killed all the babies and the mothers where injured. It was a masacre. I was bloody by the time I got them out becuase they where in the murdering mood and chewed on me a bit too.

I never made that mistake again. I took out the living and put the parents and babies in a single cage and closed all the nest boxes until the trauma was over. When I reopened everything was back to normal.

So other wise don't mix breeds. It didn't work for me and after what I saw in my bird room it was very disturbing.

10. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I would love to figure out how to get more hummingbirds too. Every year I put out food for them and keep it out all summer and fall. WE usually have lots of them around here. They will fly right up to us and just hover and check us out. We always plan the vine that attracts them. I harvest the seeds and plant new in new places every year. This year we have this dead tree that the landlord had all the big branches cut off so it doesn't fall on us so we are left with a tall tree stump. WE planted the hummingbird seeds all around the base so they can climb up the tree.

We had a few pieces of fencing along the bottom to help the vines along the right track and my grandson was jumping around and jumped right into the fencing and got one of the wiresthat was sticking out stuck inside his leg. It went under the skin for about 2 inches. Gosh that hurt just looking at it. He's fine, just sore. Its not even red just bruised a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by