Budgie Depression?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Coturnix Quail, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    I've been raising budgies for a long time now. But recently, I've been taking care of one of my friends budgies and they chirp a lot more than mine do. Mine rarely chirp.. Why is it this way? They get better food, more light, they have a bigger cage and more toys. Whats the problem? Then again, my budgies are pretty old and hers are young.. I'm very confused and I just want them to be happy!

2. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    Chirping can have lots of different meanings and it doesn't mean that the birds are happy (especially if its at night). To be honest happy content birds tend to be quieter. Age can also play a part in it as the young ones are more playful which means they are moving around more and chattering to tell other birds where they are and I guess what they are doing. Most of the chatter is a social thing which is why a single budgie will talk to a mirror for hours.

If you think your birds are getting a bit fat and lazy (bored) then change out the toys and move everything around in the cage to give them something to explore.

1 person likes this.
  3. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Thank you! They do tend to be getting bored, but not fat. I guess I'll buy some new toys and move everything around. Yesterday I did a whole cage clean, including toys, but I thought that they would not like a change so I didn't change it even though I was thinking of it. Thank you again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by