1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Budgie Gender

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Anira, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Anira

Anira Songster

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    I just got a budgie, and though I've looked up online how to tell the gender, I'm still unsure having nothing to really compare to. The Petsmart I got her/him from didn't know the age or gender.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also would like to know what type of green s/he is, just out of curiosity. There is also some of the dark blue color in the wing feathers; is that typical of this color?
    [​IMG]

My sister had a budgie when we were growing up, but she didn't spend much time with him. I'm usually home most of the day, so I'll be spending a lot of time with this one. So far s/he is quite tame. Had to adjust the mirror and s/he didn't freak out at all, or even move more than a couple inches away from my hand.

I chose this one because it seemed the most active. While the others were grooming themselves, s/he was attempting a breakout, which technically succeeded, just not in the way they were hoping for.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on your new bird. It is a relatively young bird as the feathers on the forehead still show a lot of barring - as it matures the forehead will probably become a solid yellow. As it matures the cere (bill covering/nasal area) will turn blue if it is a male or brownish if it is a female. The more you interact with the bird, the friendlier it will become. Enjoy.

3. Anira

Anira Songster

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    Yeah, I figured it was probably too young to tell just yet. But that's good, because I have more time to bond.

4. Anira

Anira Songster

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    S/he is randomly bobbing his/her head now. Not a little bob, either. More like headbanging.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: