Budgie Gender

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Anira, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Anira

Anira Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    I just got a budgie, and though I've looked up online how to tell the gender, I'm still unsure having nothing to really compare to. The Petsmart I got her/him from didn't know the age or gender.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also would like to know what type of green s/he is, just out of curiosity. There is also some of the dark blue color in the wing feathers; is that typical of this color?
    [​IMG]

My sister had a budgie when we were growing up, but she didn't spend much time with him. I'm usually home most of the day, so I'll be spending a lot of time with this one. So far s/he is quite tame. Had to adjust the mirror and s/he didn't freak out at all, or even move more than a couple inches away from my hand.

I chose this one because it seemed the most active. While the others were grooming themselves, s/he was attempting a breakout, which technically succeeded, just not in the way they were hoping for.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on your new bird. It is a relatively young bird as the feathers on the forehead still show a lot of barring - as it matures the forehead will probably become a solid yellow. As it matures the cere (bill covering/nasal area) will turn blue if it is a male or brownish if it is a female. The more you interact with the bird, the friendlier it will become. Enjoy.

3. Anira

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    Yeah, I figured it was probably too young to tell just yet. But that's good, because I have more time to bond.

4. Anira

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    S/he is randomly bobbing his/her head now. Not a little bob, either. More like headbanging.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by