Budgie Gravel? I already gave it to them, hope it's alright.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hatrick, May 14, 2009.

1. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    I bought budgie gravel for my 10 day olds today. Although I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't give them grit fortified with calcium, however this stuff has oyster shells in it and it says it's to add calcium. I'm alright to use it right? I already gave them some, so I hope so. [​IMG]

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    The calcium isn't good for the chicks. They don't need extra calcium until they start laying. They don't need grit until they start eating something besides their chick starter feed. I'm sure no harm done at this time but i would take it out until they lay. Good Luck

3. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    But I started giving them treats yesterday (mealworms and an ususpecting potato bug I found on my wall...ew) so they need grit. If I can't use budgie grit then what I am supposed to use?

4. Muzzie

Muzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Connecticut
    I started to give mine mealworms as treats and have given them a sprinkling of parakeet grit they are fine. I don't see much in the way of oyster shell in the mix you can see the white flakes and push them out I did.

5. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    They do make chick grit specifically for chicks.

6. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Quote:I have been using parakeet grit as well. I couldn't find "chick" grit anywhere. Picked up the parakeet grit at the grocery store.

7. C_Dzchicks

C_Dzchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Yeah, I can't find chick grit anywhere around here and have given them parakeet grit. I didn't think about it having calcium in it. Good catch. I'll check that out. I have been given it to my chicks for a couple of weeks now.

8. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Small hijack-

I am curious about all of the calcium warnings in grit but then yogurt as a treat is recommended.

Anyone know why this is?

UPDATE:
    OK instead of hijacking, I started a new topic.:eek:)

Last edited: May 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by