Budgie offspring

8GeeseALaying

Songster
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Signing off for good. No longer own fowl or poultr
My Coop
My Coop
I recently got two budgies, even though they are young(12 wks old) and i do not know what genders they are, if they are one of each and they mated what would their offsprings colors and markings possibly be? I am not saying that i Will or will not allow them to hatch anything, i am just wondering. Here are their pics
Nakoda( which i call a boy)

And Jewel(which i call a girl)

And together

Also if someone could tell me the correct names for their colors and maybe what gender they might be, i would appreciate it. I have been researching a lot but any extra info would help.
Thanks

Hi-I have a blue male and green female and ALL of their offspring were green. I suspect if you have a pair you'll end up green chicks as well, since green seems to be dominant and your other bird (pearl?) is almost certainly recessive.

From what I've read, most breeders have success with small flocks rather than single pairs, but my pair went right to it as soon as I added a nest box. They produced three clutches one after the other and they had 8 surviving offspring. The male helped a lot, but I removed the nest box after the third clutch since females can get exhausted if they are constantly producing.

Good luck!

Well first off your not gonna get any chicks as both are cock birds you have a normal green and a recessive pied as male recessive pieds never get blue ceres. If you had a rec girl Youd get normal greens split blue and all chicks split to recessive. If you want a girl budgie look for ones with white in the ceres.

Thank You both!
I had an inkling that they might both be males but since im just learning about them i wasnt sure. They both do the head bob lol that is why i was thinking males.
That decides it for seperating them for better taming, it will be 2 wks this wednesday since i bought them, and already they are both finger tame.
I guess later on if i decide to breed i can get them both a girlfriend, maybe two more different than they are, maybe a yellow and a Purple. Deep down I really would like some baby budgies later on lol

I wouldn't necessarily assume they are males. Young birds have blue ceres and the females will tend toward brown when they mature. Yellow and white ones seem to have lavendar ceres and you can never tell what they will be. I bought 2 12 years ago just guessing they were opposite sexes. When the female started chewing things up I gave them a nest box thinking maybe they would never have babies but it would give her something to do. They ended up producing 12 babies. One nest had 5. I still have one left. Females get very hyper and start chewing up paper and perches. Males are more laid back.

I wouldn't necessarily assume they are males. Young birds have blue ceres and the females will tend toward brown when they mature. Yellow and white ones seem to have lavendar ceres and you can never tell what they will be. I bought 2 12 years ago just guessing they were opposite sexes. When the female started chewing things up I gave them a nest box thinking maybe they would never have babies but it would give her something to do. They ended up producing 12 babies. One nest had 5. I still have one left. Females get very hyper and start chewing up paper and perches. Males are more laid back.

Coming from someone that has been breeding for years both birds are males. Young males have pink ceres or purple when young. Adult males have blue or pink as inos,fallows,recessive pieds etc always have pink ceres their whole lives young hens have white,tinted blue with white ceres adult hens have tan or crusty brown. Both sexes chew things i have both and they chew up things :).

Well first off your not gonna get any chicks as both are cock birds you have a normal green and a recessive pied as male recessive pieds never get blue ceres. If you had a rec girl Youd get normal greens split blue and all chicks split to recessive. If you want a girl budgie look for ones with white in the ceres.
I had a male recessive pied with a blue cere!

Back
Top Bottom