Budgies- picking on fledglings

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by ccmarie, Dec 20, 2012.

1. ccmarie

ccmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    Our pair of budgies are raising babies. The second baby left the nest box today. Then a few hours later we found the first one dead. It's head and wing were bloody and it looks like the parents picked at it. My question is, should we move the other two babies so the parents can't get at them, or do we need to worry? The third and last one will be emerging soon, we think. We have the second cage that's about ready for them. Thanks.

2. tillyita

tillyita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Australia
    If you are planning on taming them - now is the time to remove them. They will bond readily with you at this point. If the parents are picking on them I would remove them.

3. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Your male probably is the one that did is as i had a male kill a fledgling by trying to mate it. Do you only have two budgies or is there more in with them?

4. ccmarie

ccmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    We moved the two babies out. We just have the pair in that cage now--it's really too small for more than two adults..
    From the blood, it looks like both parents attacked it when it returned to the nest box, and then it made its way back out but died at the bottom of the cage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by