Buff 1 week chics die

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Herman, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Herman

Herman New Egg

Sep 9, 2012
    I got 20 Buff chics day old. They start dying 1by 1. What I see is that their poop got stuck on their bottoms and dry out.They seem to to be healthy 1 minute and start to sit down and you can see they become disorrientated. I lost 11 chics in 5 days. They dont drink water like suppose to. Is it commen amongs Buff chics?

2. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    the poop on their butts is called "pasty butts" and your supposed to clean it off, if you didn't, then that could be the reason they are dying:(

Gently clean their bottoms with warm water so the poop comes off.

Also try adding 3 T of Apple Cider Vinegar to a gallon of water, give them a fresh batch of water daily,
    ALot of people swear by ACV and I do to,,The 9 chicks I got, not one of them ever had pasty butts.

3. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    to add, they also could have something else wrong with them, but since it sounds like your not cleaning their butts off, it sounds like that is the reason they are dying..

4. Herman

Herman New Egg

Sep 9, 2012
    Thanks I will start cleaning their bottoms. I just lost another one which seem to be healthy. maybe I must put something in their water like some medicine

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your losses. I've started using ACV for my chicks (and older chickens) a few months ago and it really works. When you clean their butts apply some vaseline or olive oil to it. It'll stop the poop sticking again.
    What is your brooder set-up? Temperature in there? What are you feeding them? Sorry about all the questions, just trying to figure out why they are dying and getting pasted up like that. Can you tell us more?

6. Herman

Herman New Egg

Sep 9, 2012
    Temp. is 30 degrees cel. and took out their bedding and replaced it with soil. i also give them earth worms and green grass

7. Herman

Herman New Egg

Sep 9, 2012
    i also think my light is too bright. i want to replace it with infrared lights tomorrow

8. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    If you are giving them green grass and treats, they have to have chick grit, or they wont digest stuff and that will kill them too.

9. Herman

Herman New Egg

Sep 9, 2012
    Chick grid? Does ordinary soil do the same work ?

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You can out some ordinary soil in the brooder for them to scratch in and they'll get some grit from that. Some coarse sand sprinkled over their food will be good too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by