Buff and white chicken with "willow" (green) legs and cushion comb (maybe pea comb)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kuntrydazy, Dec 10, 2014.

1. kuntrydazy

kuntrydazy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2014
    I ordered chicks last spring from McMurray Hatchery and with each order they send one random, rare breed chick. They don't tell you what it is. I want to know what mine is. Everyone assumes she is a Buff Orpington, but they don't have green legs and tiny combs like she does from what I can tell. If anyone knows what she is I'd be very excited to learn. I wouldn't mind getting more of her breed at some point - she has been low maintenance, hardy, smart, lays well, and has really beautiful coloring. Thanks for your help!

[ALT=""]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6661551/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    A picture would help. Does she lay blue or green eggs? With green legs an Easter Egger would be my first guess but I can't confirm without a picture.

3. kuntrydazy

Dec 8, 2014
    I put photos on my post, can you not see them? There are a few photos. This is my first post adding photos so maybe I did it wrong. She could lay blue or green eggs, it's hard to tell. I have 24 chickens laying and they lay in nests with other eggs from other chickens. I do have quite a few blue and green eggs, but I also have Easter Eggers, Auracana's, and Ameraucana's. Actually just looked up each of these and saw photos similar to her, but all are a little different. She doesn't have the face/neck tufts of the Easter Eggers, the ear tufts of the Araucana's, or the leg coloring of Ameraucana's. Her coloring is just so different from those chickens - no brown or black at all.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  4. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    Easter Egger .. very pretty

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I can see the pictures now. She is an Easter Egger. There seem to be a lot of clean faced ones this year.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She looks like an Easter Egger to me. Not a Buff Orpington. I love her coloration!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Derfinitely an Easter Egger. The greenish legs and pea comb are a dead giveaway.

8. kuntrydazy

Dec 8, 2014
    Thank you all! Conveniently the one chick I have that turned out to be a rooster is also an Easter Egger - maybe I will try to breed them at some point and see if I can get more like her (though I'm slightly disappointed to hear she is an Easter Egger since they don't breed true). I agree, I think she is very unique and pretty looking, and also has great temperament, hardiness, and personality. Thanks again!

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Easter Egger pullet.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree EE pullet. Hopefully you'll get pretty blue or green eggs from her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by