Buff Barred Cochins...Breeders Please Read..Genetics & AI

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GypsyChic, Oct 11, 2009.

1. GypsyChic

GypsyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    MO
    Ok, since last spring I've been working hard on my bantam cochin program, along with a few "side projects", and have ruthlessly culled! I left my barred roo in with a few red and buff girls for a while (after seperating from their normal roos) and even thought production/hatch rate has gone well, I'm STILL NOT getting any buff or red barreds. What's the secret? What am I doing or not doing thats causing such a slow process with this?? [​IMG] I also wanted to ask how many of you "shave bottoms" and/or AI your girls?? Not meaning to be stupid but I want to absorb as much as possible on color genetics, fertility, if AI'ing is best, ect. I've had a decent hatch rate on my bantam cochins, BUT...always looking for info, and to improve my little program. Thanks for looking and I really do hope that some of you can help me. [​IMG]

Gypsy

2. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    I don't know a whole lot about color genetics so I hope somebody that does posts on here!

on a side note....We bred a buff colored serama hen with a multi-colored mostly red and white splashed roo and ALL of their babies came out solid white. Isn't that neat?

3. GypsyChic

Aug 24, 2009
    MO
    LOL, that is neat. Yeah, I hope someone can help...I'm about to pull (the rest of) my hair out and just give up on ever having buff or red barreds [​IMG] I've read a lot on the internet, but it's always nice to be "mentored" along...especially when I've worked so hard on this program.

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Okay I'm not a breeder but I can help you.
    Ithink AI might be a option. But remeber it takes time to develope those colours. Why not try RED X BUFF - BARRED X REDxBUFF then breed to Crele. And back BARRED. this is only a suggestion not some thing to do

5. GypsyChic

Aug 24, 2009
    MO
    Quote:That is a good suggestion, and I do appreciate you trying to direct/help me. I know it takes time, and good things do come to those who are persistant [​IMG] My roo is extremely fertile and has covered every girl I've put with him, however, I think I just dont have the right genetics (yet) to get what I'm after. This may be a project that goes on for the next couple years (like my mille's)...lol. I also want to keep the type/quality I have with these guys and that's why I've been so hard on myself when culling from my breeders. I'm all EARS if anyone else wants to add to this. Thanks again hun...I'm willing to do/try anything at this point. I love my cochins.

Gypsy

6. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Gypsychick, I have made buff barred Orpingtons. They are very large with lots of feather. It is usually a quite straight forward colour pattern to make.

When you say:
    I left my barred roo in with a few red and buff girls for a while (after seperating from their normal roos)

Do you mean your male is buff barred or the more usual black barred?

And when you say:
    even thought production/hatch rate has gone well, I'm STILL NOT getting any buff or red barreds.

What are you getting & how many did you hatch?​

7. GypsyChic

Aug 24, 2009
    MO
    Quote:Do you mean your male is buff barred or the more usual black barred?

And when you say:
    even thought production/hatch rate has gone well, I'm STILL NOT getting any buff or red barreds.

What are you getting & how many did you hatch?​

Hi Hun...I'm getting blk w/more than usual white markings, buff, reds w/buff down, and regular barreds. My roo is a blk barred/normal color. Here is a pic, he is bantam.

[​IMG]

8. Krys109uk

I'm getting blk w/more than usual white markings, buff, reds w/buff down, and regular barreds. My roo is a blk barred/normal color. Here is a pic, he is bantam.

He has only one barring gene so, statistically, you ought to get in the region of 50% barred birds (of whatever colour) & 50% non barred.
    He is, presumably, a normal black barred crossed with another colour. There is linkage, though not close, between silver & barring, so this might be affecting the results. As you are getting some reds & some buffs, if you keep hatching, sooner or later some of your reds or buffs will hatch barred (one barring gene). It can be difficult to see the lighter headspot in the light down of buff or red chicks. Also barring does not always express as well in reds & buffs as it does in blacks. It is usually most visible in the wings & thigh fluff.
    Just keep hatching. You don't need to do anything else.​

9. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    Quote:He has only one barring gene so, statistically, you ought to get in the region of 50% barred birds (of whatever colour) & 50% non barred.
    He is, presumably, a normal black barred crossed with another colour. There is linkage, though not close, between silver & barring, so this might be affecting the results. As you are getting some reds & some buffs, if you keep hatching, sooner or later some of your reds or buffs will hatch barred (one barring gene). It can be difficult to see the lighter headspot in the light down of buff or red chicks. Also barring does not always express as well in reds & buffs as it does in blacks. It is usually most visible in the wings & thigh fluff.
    Just keep hatching. You don't need to do anything else.

Very interesting... I did not know there was a link between silver and barred.
    [​IMG] Just keep hatching...just keep hatching....hatching hatching haaaaaTchiiiiiing! (in Dori's voice)

10. Krys109uk

I did not know there was a link between silver and barred.

They're both on the Z chromosome but not at all close.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by