Buff/Blue swede/Cayuga/runner ?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by percyj, Jul 25, 2010.

1. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Which one should I get??? I'm looking for a) quiet b) reasnoble egg layer c)quet d)quiet e) no fly

I have to choose from one of those breeds btw so plz don't tell me to get so and so, I'm frowning at my lack of choice already.

2. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Of all of those, Runners are probably the best layers. My Runners are consistently some of the best layers in my flock. They also don't fly (with rare exception). As far as quiet, some are and some aren't. I have many, many Runners that I never hear a peep out of, but I do have some that are extraordinarily loud. LOL, it just depends on the individual bird.

Cayugas are known for being fairly quiet, but I don't know that I would eat Cayuga eggs (if that is your goal for having eggs). Cayuga eggs would look gross to me personally to eat, but again the color depends on the individual bird and time of year. Maybe that would be a non-issue for you.

Buff ducks and Blue Swedes also generally don't fly much as they are too large. I have heard a few people complain that there Buffs can be quite loud though. I kept Blue Swedes many years ago and loved them. Mine were pretty calm and quiet. I had one that was my "pet" duck for several years and she was a real sweetheart, never flew and was never terribly loud.

3. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    Cayugas are known for being fairly quiet, but I don't know that I would eat Cayuga eggs (if that is your goal for having eggs). Cayuga eggs would look gross to me personally to eat, but again the color depends on the individual bird and time of year. Maybe that would be a non-issue for you.

Why would the eggs look gross???

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Because depending on the time of year, their eggs colors range from grey to black, and some people may have a problem getting past that, but they would be like any regular duck egg on the inside.

I have Buffs and Swedish, they are both beautiful breeds and I think the buffs lay abit better ( but my swedish is getting older) and the Buffs are very broody which is something I love about them. Though mine free range and I let them nest when and where ever they want but if you have them penned and collect the eggs everyday, it shouldnt be a problem if you dont want them to be broody.

5. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    Thx I've decided to go w/ 1 Cayuga and it turns out they have magpies!!! So one of those. My first duckies! My geese always seemed to hate me they lov my bro so they're his now, all my hard work gone to my brother!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by