Buff Boy or Girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CourageousChic, Aug 24, 2008.

1. CourageousChic

CourageousChic Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Sarasota
    Friends of ours are worried this Buff hatched 4/30 could crow any minute - I think it's a girl and they should wait it out....What do you think?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG]

I've been thinking about it... I'm saying late developing roo because that comb is massive. [​IMG]

3. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

soorry i think its a little young to be a hen and have SUCH bigggg comb, its only like what 16 weeks? i dont know.. tho .. its feathers are very hen like

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My BO Cissy had a huge comb at 18 weeks and I was worried she was a boy but she now squats. Also I don't see any sickle tail feathers on her so I'm saying hen for what it's worth.

5. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Thats a good size comb for the age, I would wait and see. My guess is rooster.

6. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have a book called, "The breeding and mating of Poultry" and it refers to "hen feathered" cocks alot..basically a rooster can be feathered like a hen sometimes and are useful to obtain certain desirable traits in a breeding program.

I dont recall if any orpingtons were hen feathered, but it was common in leghorns and Hamburgs and such..I am moving and my book is packed up or i would look for reference.

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    yeah, often there are "hen feathered" cocks. Sebrights are a prime example. all of the roosters are hen feathered. in gamefowl many lines come Hen feathered. their called "hennies" and many other breeds im sure can come hen feathered. but i think this is a little hen with a huge comb.

8. CourageousChic

CourageousChic Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Sarasota
    Hen feathered Roo? Goodness, that doesn't make things any easier! I don't see any spurs yet, but maybe it's too soon. I'm so used to my girls I've forgotten exactly how this goes. But wouldn't she/he have crowed by now?

9. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    usually crow 5-6 + months old but by that age. they should have feathers like a rooster.

10. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by