buff brahma bantam broody-setting eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sebright guy, Apr 26, 2009.

1. sebright guy

sebright guy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    ihad a hen that i thought was broody so i put some eggs under. turns out she is still sitting and gets mad when you come close. i just set the real eggs under her. so is that all there is to it. do i just leave her alone till there due? she seperated from everyone else with a nest. i normally incubate eggs but i wanted to try it this way.

2. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    That's pretty much it. Mark the eggs, and mark your calendar. (21 days) Check under mama each day in the evening, and remove any unmarked eggs that other hens may have deposited. Until about day 19 or 20, then leave her alone. She'll do the rest.

My full size Light Brahma hens are wonderful moms.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  3. sebright guy

sebright guy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    great!! thnx alot. its appreciated!!

4. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Most books say that if they are not on the ground that you should occasionally sprinkle some lukewarm water on the eggs if they are not on the ground.
    Not near the end of course.

Good Luck!![​IMG]

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I used to do that, (Sprinkle or mist eggs under a hen) my DH convinced me I didn't need to. The eggs still hatch just fine, but the hens are less annoyed in the process. Hens don't sweat, but their underbodies still transmit the correct amount of moisture to the eggs. Feel the skin on the underside of a broody, it feels very warm and slightly damp. Not wet, but you can feel the humidity.

The hen just needs a safe, protected space to brood, free access to food and water for her daily nest breaks, and the nest should not be too far off the ground. That way when the chicks hatch, and she leads them out of the nest, (usually the day after they all finish hatching, and have had time to fluff up and become active) they will be able to leave the nest without a long drop. I've tried to put mine in nests on the floor of the coop, but right now I have 3 broodies, one in a floor nest, two up higher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by