1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Brahma Bantam Gender??? Are they even Bantams?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BeckyandHerBrood, Jun 20, 2011.

1. BeckyandHerBrood

BeckyandHerBrood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Champaign, IL
    Hello, I am really new to all of this, but am officially hooked (yet have no idea how to guess on gender). I have 3 Buff Brahma Bantams that I purchased straight run from Rural King. I think that they are about 7 weeks old. I am still not sure about sex, and they are almost as big as my Cochin Standards. Can you please help me figure out if they are Roos or Pullets? And do you think they are Bantam or full-size Brahmas.

A pic of the Brahma bantams (?) With my Cochins and Buff Orpingtons (all about the same age). Do you think they are bantam?
    [​IMG]

Number 1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Number 2: (I think Roo)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Number 3 (please tell me she is a hen, She has kind of become the favorite pet):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    that is her in the corner, not the one I am holding.

Thanks for your input. I have no clue what I am doing, but definitely cannot have a rooster, and/or 11 chickens in my backyard.

-Becky
    Mama to way to many critters, but working on the perfect flock. 3kids, 2 labs, 1 cat, 2 snakes, 4 buff orpingtons, 4 Cochins, 3 Brahma Bantams, and 6 Wyandottes and Ameracaunas in the brooder.

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    i think you have 2 girls and a boy. I'm not sure on the bantam/standard debate.

3. BeckyandHerBrood

Jun 20, 2011
    Champaign, IL
    May I ask what leads you to your decision? Feathers? Comb? I have read that I should be looking for both, but am not sure what the differences are?

4. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    I would watch for #2 to perhaps be a Roo...the picture of his comb is really fuzzy so hard to tell...
    As far as other things to look for, there are Saddle and Hackle feathers...here is a link on this site where it shows pictures of the difference.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6662319

All
    your pictures...you took a top view, (which is KEY)...however you cut off the tail section (the part that is most important)....so if you can post some of those an a clear photo of #2 face please ?

Best Wishes,
    Laura

5. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Redness in the face and the size of the wattles and the comb. They will be larger and redder soonr in a male.

6. BeckyandHerBrood

Jun 20, 2011
    Champaign, IL
    Thanks. I will take more pics tomorrow that include the tail. I noticed today that if I spread the feathers apart at the saddle the first two seem to have new (brighter orange feathers coming in), which is why I posted this. I thought they were all hens for the longest time, but now I have no idea. I have 4 Cochins and it has been way more obvious with them. The third one feathered out the fastest of the three. She (I say hopefully) has always had longer wing, and fluffier tail feathers than the other two. I SO hope she is a hen. She follows my kids around like a puppy and climbs into their laps. Also, (as I am new to BYC) is there a quick way to find out if any new comments have posted on your thread?

7. BeckyandHerBrood

Jun 20, 2011
    Champaign, IL
    Oh, and what about the bantam vs. standard question. They just seem really big to end up only weighing 32 oz.

8. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:My 7 week old bantams are that size......but mine will not get much bigger than they are right now.....only time will tell on that one [​IMG]

And your 3rd is a PULLET [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  9. Moose The Ameraucana

Moose The Ameraucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    first one looks like a roo because of the difference between combs and the others are pullets [​IMG]

10. BeckyandHerBrood

Jun 20, 2011
    Champaign, IL
    As long as number 3 is a pullet life is good around here.
    This is "Cricket" on the trampoline with my kids. They love her. She sleeps on their feet and jumps into their laps.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by