Buff Brahma Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bantiebabe1200, Dec 15, 2010.

1. bantiebabe1200

bantiebabe1200 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    Hi everyone!
    Does anyone here raise buff Brahma Bantams to standard? I'm only asking because I'm getting into breeding these very soon and would like to have a few questions answered. I'm only just getting back into chickens recently as I was very into chickens in 4-H and the buff Brahma bantie became my all time favorite chicken and developed the strong yerning to start breeding them to standard, but never was able in my youth (due to complication that I won't get into reguarding family).

I'm now married and on my own, and finally just getting settled back into a life where I can once again pursue my dream. [​IMG] Between remembering what our local breeders pens were like and studing some others online and in books I've worked up what I think will a perfect starter breeding facility. It's small and will hopefully grow with time. I just can't build the coop until fall of 2011 [​IMG] , or (heaven forbid) if things don't work out as planned for next fall I'll be building it sometime in 2012. [​IMG] I've also looked up some good breeders that I will be contacting once this coop is built and ready. I hope to recieve a trio from each of these so I will have at least several diffrent lines to work with.

Ok, now that I've briefly explained what I've got going now and what will be going on in the future....My first question is:

1: What are some of the traits that make a show bird versus a breeder bird?

2: How do you know after the six months or so wich birds would be culls versus keepers or to sell off (due to lack of room for say)

3: I've heard that wing bands are the way to go with indetifiction on feather footed breeds. What would be the safest method of using these without hurting the bird?

Ok, that's about it for now. I think....

Thank you for putting up with me and my long post. [​IMG]

2. bantiebabe1200

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    Anyone?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

seriousbill does (Janet Holtman). She's in Ohio. Hers are very nice breeder stock. I'll email her with your thread link.

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
  5. bantiebabe1200

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    Quote:Thanks so much speckledhen! [​IMG] I'll be so excitied if she can help. [​IMG]

rodriguezpoultry wrote:

I believe Tim63 has some show quality Buff Brahmas. Let me make sure I've spelled his name right. Also, here's a link to the Brahma thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=169790

Thanks so much for the help and the link! That should be a big help. [​IMG]

6. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
  7. bantiebabe1200

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    Wow, those are very nice birds indeed! [​IMG] Thanks so much for for giving me that link! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by