Buff Brahma crossed with Dark Brahma Genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CharlieVoda, Sep 26, 2010.

1. CharlieVoda

CharlieVoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2010
    Mankato, Mn
    Hello
    I have some hens that are a mistaken cross of a Buff Brahma rooster and Dark Brahma hens. The offspring hens are buff with about 2/3rds dark black penciling as in a Dark Brahma hen. Where would I go from here to try and breed these they are beautiful. I am thinking Buff rooster to them. They are penciled throughout except on the breasts. I do not have a cockarel from the breeding that I know of. I thought these were buff chicks until they started to feather out. If there was a cockarel it was a Dark. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The Darks are Arbuckle / Rust and the Buff was a Jim Burns bird.
    Thanks Charlie

2. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    How good is the pencilling?
    They would be heterozygous columbian, hence the pattern on their backs.

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
  4. CharlieVoda

Sep 25, 2010
    Mankato, Mn
    The penciling is very distinct and crisp in 5 of 7 pullets. Does this mean they will never breed true. They are now about 6 months old. I would like to pursue this project, but do not wish to spin my wheels either. Nor do I wish to end up with birds that have to be double mated. I got these from a buddy that hatched them. He raises SQ Large and Bantam Light, and Bantam Buff and Dark Brahma. I raise SQ Large and Bantam Dark Brahma and have some Buffs in Bantam. Between the two of us we could raise a couple hundred more birds per year if need be. Do I use Buff Colombian for male and silver partridge for the female in the calculator? The calculator and genetics in general are confusing to me. Obviously I do not know much about genetics but willing to learn. I will try to post a few pics today.
    Thanks Again

5. CharlieVoda

Sep 25, 2010
    Mankato, Mn
  6. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Not bad.
    The combination Co/Co Pg/Pg is not well documented, but very interesting. I'll explain.
    Dark brahma would be the Pg/Pg, and buff (columbia) brahma the Co/Co.
    Question would be: could the buff brahma be hiding Pg as well.
    Then the cross would permit the pencilling to be expressed again due to the Co becoming heterozygous and less powerfull (Co/co+ Pg/Pg).

On the other hand: the germans have a form of pencilling called "Braungebändert" that has pencilled females and largely buff (columbian)-type males.
    I speculated that these could be the undocumented Co/Co Pg/Pg. The problem with this would be that all the combinations would be difficult to label.
    You can't tell a braungebändert female from a pencilled one.
    You can't tell a braungebändert male from a buff columbian one.

7. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Just found this thread. Those are some beautiful chickens. Have you done anything with them yet as far as tryiong to breed them on in hat color pattern?

8. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    I noticed a Partridge hen in the background of several photos. Do you have a Partridge male?
    If so I would use him on the pullets & mate the resulting F1 birds together
    David

9. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    CharlieVoda
    Have done anything else with these?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by