Buff Brahma hens - egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ragladysews, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Ragladysews

Ragladysews Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    NW Georgia
    I have 2 BB hens that have not laid. One of them is about 9 mos old, very small, the other is probably about 11 mos old. I didnt raise her. Is this normal for waiting this long? The 11mo, is squating but not laying? She is fed laying pellets, corn, sunflower seeds and free ranges. I am planning on worming in the next few weeks with valbazen. We just finished with the wazine.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Are you positive the 11 month old isn't laying? Brahma's are a slow maturing breed and can take a long time to mature. I wouldn't be surprised on the 9 month old, but the 11 month old would have to be really slow maturing.

3. Ragladysews

Ragladysews Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    NW Georgia
    I dont think she is. Ive seen her squating but havent been able to catch her in the nest. She is a flighty little thing. I let them free range and she may be laying elsewhere. Everyone else comes back to the nest to lay. I just assume she would too.

4. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    I have one that I got in July that looked fully grown and ready to lay any time but she didn't start laying until December- but now she's an egg a day girl! Just my 2 cents.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My Cochins are almost 10 months old, and as far as I know, I haven't seen a single egg from them. I did see one of them squat and get mounted by my roo today, so maybe she'll lay soon. You're not alone. I would really like all that feed I've been buying to turn into some eggs :/

6. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 BB pullets. One started laying in Nov at 7 months old, the other, now 9 months old started checking out the nest box today. Her comb and wattles have finally starting looking more red than pink but not as red as the other pullet. They are a slowww maturing breed but so sweet!

7. Maggie C

Maggie C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    Largo, FL
    I have 2 Light Brahmas - don't know how much difference the color makes - but both of mine started laying at around 51/2 months and are regular layers. I know they are slow in maturing, especially for meat since it takes them a year to become full sized. Just my personal observation. They are very sweet girls for the most part. One of mine likes to step on and hold down my little bantam. She doesn't hurt her - just puts a foot on her and pushes her down. It's funny.[​IMG]

8. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    She's laying somewhere else!

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Besides being slow to mature, I wouldn't be surprised if the winter short days are also keeping your little girls from point of lay. You might try adding two or three hours of extra light and see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by