Buff Brahma kids: Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Leo1, May 27, 2012.

1. Leo1

Leo1 Chirping

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    Here are my kids. I'm pretty sure I know what everyone is, but there are a couple that are throwing me off because of the way they have feathered in. I'm very interested to see of you all agree with my thoughts most of which I haven't shared:)
    Thanks!!

#1 6 weeks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]#2 6 weeks

[​IMG][​IMG]#3 6 weeks

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]#4 6 weeks

[​IMG][​IMG]#5 5 weeks There's another of him with the next chick as well.

[​IMG][​IMG]# 6 also 5 weeks

[​IMG]On the right here showing off her wonderful foot feathering
    [​IMG]
    On the right here as well
    [​IMG]#7 The youngest of the bunch 4 weeks old

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Leo1

Leo1 Chirping

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    Anybody have any guesses before I fall in love with a rooster and then have to sell him[​IMG]. I can only swing keeping 2 roos.

3. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

I think #1, #5 & #6 are boys. #7 could be as well. That's just my guess though. The combs seem very pronounced.

4. dretd

dretd Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    For sure #1 and #5, are roos, on the fence about 6 but leaning roo, I think its too early on #7 if it is only 4 weeks in that photo.

5. laughingdog52

laughingdog52 In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Eastern Oregon
    Thanks for the pics and the info--I have some the same age and I'll be keeping an eye on them and this post![​IMG]

6. Leo1

Leo1 Chirping

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    #1 and #5 have been obvious roos since about day 3. Wish they were all that obvious! #6 has VERY female coloring and feathered in very quickly (had those feathers for about 2 weeks now), though, s/he does have a somewhat larger comb. Not as big as her brothers', though. #7, I keep going back and forth on. Seems to have both boy and girl characteristics. #3 was doing a really good job pretending to be a boy until about a week ago. Feathered in very slowly, still really has no tail. Feathers stayed very light, though, and the comb hasn't come in.[​IMG]
    Above: Their mom and dad at about 7 weeks. If you look closely you can see that their mom was slow to feather. You can still see under fluff on her back.
    Daddy below
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: