Buff Brahma...or Mille Fleur???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lucretia, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Lucretia

Lucretia Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    DFW area
    Okay, I have a two month old bantam chick (purchased as "assorted feather-legged bantam") that I thought for the longest time was a Mille Fleur...but now someone said they thought she looked more like a Buff Brahma. So I appeal to ye gods of chicken identification -- what sort of chicken be this?

[​IMG]
    Frontmost of the two bantams.

[​IMG]
    Again, she's the one in the front.

[​IMG]
    Most recent, with an EE pullet.

Whatever she is, I love her...she's a wild child and pretty as can be! [​IMG]

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    We need a good foot shot! Mille fluer d'uccles have these funny feathers called "vulture hocks" on their feet that make them distinguishable from other breeds. [​IMG]

3. Lucretia

May 16, 2009
    DFW area
    Okay! As soon as I get home, I'll try to get a good foot glamor shot! [​IMG]

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    What kind of comb does she have? A buff Brahma will have a pea comb and a D'Uccle will have a single comb. She doesn't have a mille fleur pattern (BTW, mille fleur is a color variety and not a breed). D'Uccles are also being sold in the buff colombian variety. I'm leaning toward buff Brahma though since I'm not seeing a beard/muffs on her.

5. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:X2, bit if it's from a hatchery, who knows how it would look? I say we wait until we see the feet, them make the decision. But it looks like a brahma, you're right. [​IMG]

6. Lucretia

May 16, 2009
    DFW area
    If I'm remembering right, I don't think she has a pea comb. I know she had little poodle poofs around her legs. I just put Mille Fleur because I only saw that variety of d'Uccle on My Pet Chicken's bantam selection. So....that said....she may well be a Brahma! I'll still try to get a couple more shots though...comb and feet.

7. chickens are great 12

chickens are great 12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2011
    Looks like a Brahma!! [​IMG]

8. jasmtnljj

jasmtnljj Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    definitely a buff brahma. Notice the black around the neck- very much a brahma thing. I have mille fluers and i have other types of brahmas so i am quite familiar with characteristics of both

9. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Quote:That is a buff colombian pattern and there are other breeds that have that color pattern.

10. jasmtnljj

jasmtnljj Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    Quote:That is a buff colombian pattern and there are other breeds that have that color pattern.

That color pattern AND fuzzy legs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by