Buff Brahma Roo isn't mating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chalynm, Nov 14, 2010.

1. chalynm

chalynm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    NW AL
    So we've had our buff brahma roo for just over a week now, and I haven't seen any mating behavior yet. I have no idea how old he is. I *think* he was around other roos at some point before he came to live with us. He molted just before we got him, and he's recovering from scaly leg mites. Also, the girls are all black australorps.

Do he need more time to adjust to the new flock? Would he prefer other brahmas? Does the molt or the weather have anything to do with it?

TIA

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Give him awhile to get over the molt, scaley leg mites and settle in a bit.(shees give a fella a break!) He will get busy: I dont think you have to worry about that, and you certainly don't have to worry about the girls being a different breed. Roos aren't picky...they will breed any hen that is available!

3. chalynm

Mar 15, 2010
    NW AL
    [​IMG] I figured it was just a lot of things happening at the same time, but I've heard so many people talk about how randy their roos are, I just wanted to make sure we weren't overlooking anything, like maybe he brought more than just the mites with him. Thanks!

4. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    I had an ameraucana roo that was never interested in our hens......first and only one in nearly 20 years [​IMG]

5. chalynm

Mar 15, 2010
    NW AL
    Interesting. So he never mated at all? Or just not as often as you'd expect?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My first rooster met my hens after a five week quarantine period. It was a couple months before I caught him mating anyone. Then, it was five long months before I got my first fertile egg. He was 11 months old and had never had any hens before and was so laid back and such a gentleman, plus inexperienced, that it just took awhile. He was a great rooster and all others have to live up to his reputation around. Miss that boy! He never was an overly enthusiastic breeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by