Buff Brahma roo over white Araucana hen

karint

Songster
May 24, 2019
Any idea what I could expect the chicks to look like if I add my buff Brahma roo to my white Araucana hen pen? I like the idea of the colors for the eggs but curious what I could expect for the chicks? I’ve heard the feathers in the legs are dominant and also pea comb but what about colors? Thanks

Ooops...had to rewrite...read Ameraucana rather than Araucana....corrected:

It depends on the type of white you've got in the Araucana....whether it is recessive white or dominant white.

If dominant white, all chicks will be white, for generations in that line, as dominant white is difficult to breed out and produces, white chicks.

If recessive white, it takes 2 genes to create the white plummage. If you've got a Buff Columbian Brahma, which is the black neck lacing and black tip tail, the genetic calculator is running solid black chicks both sexes. You can have some buff throw backs with generation 2, or some white chicks, depending on which parent you breed back to....although personally I find black to also be pretty dominant once I get it in a line.

I will look to see someone else comments who has extensive knowledge of Araucana gentics as to whether they are recessive white, dominant white, or even possibly silver...which adds a fun new dimension.

If your Araucana is actually genetic silver (though looks white), you will have stumbled onto a sexlinking combination with gold fawn chick females and white-yellow chick males.

Of course, yes, pea comb will dominate as a single gene pea is dominant, and both parents should have pea combs. I find foot feathering to be dominant, pretty much, the first generation, but begins to drop away by the second unless rebred back to feathered parent. Ear tufts will drop off fairly fast if your Araucana is tufted, since double gene tufting is a lethal combination, so any tufted Araucana is almost always single gene. It tends to be dominant, but will fall away fairly quickly with subsequent generations unless bred back to the Araucana.

Egg color will be light green, 100% first generation, as the Brahma generally lays a tinted egg (light tannish) which over the single gene blue shell gene received from the Aruanca will dominate to provide a blue shell with tint wash...which will be pretty. (Unless your Araucana isn't as pure as you thought and only had 1 blue gene to begin with...then you'll find the daughters will lay statistically 50% brown and 50% green) Continue to take the best green eggs for breed back to the brown parent, and you deepen the green, but also produce only 50% of brown layers. Save a nice Brahma-Araucana rooster to breed back to mom, and you start recapturing the blue genes (25% 2 blue, 50% single blue, 25% brown). Alternate generations to intensify either blue or the brown to change tones in the egg shells.

Body type will be about middle between the 2. Brahma is a heavy bird, while the Araucana is a very light bird. You'll also get a middle ground laying capacity.

I'll have to look up my rumpless (tail-less) genetics again...my memory states rumpless is dominant???? But it may be recessive. Typically you'll see some rumpless and others not???? Not sure on the tail feathers at the moment.

https://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator
My thoughts.
LofMc

Last edited:
Looked up the rumpless genetics again....it is a bit of a mixed genetic thing....it is mostly dominant, but can be partial, providing a partial caudal bone fusing.

The negative about rumpless is that it too can be leathal if homozygous, and it can cause difficulty in fertility as the rooster has troubles stabilizing for mating.

But you've got a healthy Brahama over an Araucana hen, so F1 shouldn't be a problem.

Nice batch of EE's.

LofMc

Ooops...had to rewrite...read Ameraucana rather than Araucana....corrected:

It depends on the type of white you've got in the Araucana....whether it is recessive white or dominant white.
Wow that was so helpful and so many details. Thanks so much!! I’m also debating getting ameraucana hens but not sure on the color but am assuming if I get white the above information would hold true depending on wherever it’s white dominant or not?
If dominant white, all chicks will be white, for generations in that line, as dominant white is difficult to breed out and produces, white chicks.

If recessive white, it takes 2 genes to create the white plummage. If you've got a Buff Columbian Brahma, which is the black neck lacing and black tip tail, the genetic calculator is running solid black chicks both sexes. You can have some buff throw backs with generation 2, or some white chicks, depending on which parent you breed back to....although personally I find black to also be pretty dominant once I get it in a line.

I will look to see someone else comments who has extensive knowledge of Araucana gentics as to whether they are recessive white, dominant white, or even possibly silver...which adds a fun new dimension.

If your Araucana is actually genetic silver (though looks white), you will have stumbled onto a sexlinking combination with gold fawn chick females and white-yellow chick males.

Of course, yes, pea comb will dominate as a single gene pea is dominant, and both parents should have pea combs. I find foot feathering to be dominant, pretty much, the first generation, but begins to drop away by the second unless rebred back to feathered parent. Ear tufts will drop off fairly fast if your Araucana is tufted, since double gene tufting is a lethal combination, so any tufted Araucana is almost always single gene. It tends to be dominant, but will fall away fairly quickly with subsequent generations unless bred back to the Araucana.

Egg color will be light green, 100% first generation, as the Brahma generally lays a tinted egg (light tannish) which over the single gene blue shell gene received from the Aruanca will dominate to provide a blue shell with tint wash...which will be pretty. (Unless your Araucana isn't as pure as you thought and only had 1 blue gene to begin with...then you'll find the daughters will lay statistically 50% brown and 50% green) Continue to take the best green eggs for breed back to the brown parent, and you deepen the green, but also produce only 50% of brown layers. Save a nice Brahma-Araucana rooster to breed back to mom, and you start recapturing the blue genes (25% 2 blue, 50% single blue, 25% brown). Alternate generations to intensify either blue or the brown to change tones in the egg shells.

Body type will be about middle between the 2. Brahma is a heavy bird, while the Araucana is a very light bird. You'll also get a middle ground laying capacity.

I'll have to look up my rumpless (tail-less) genetics again...my memory states rumpless is dominant???? But it may be recessive. Typically you'll see some rumpless and others not???? Not sure on the tail feathers at the moment.

https://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator
My thoughts.
LofMc

Looked up the rumpless genetics again....it is a bit of a mixed genetic thing....it is mostly dominant, but can be partial, providing a partial caudal bone fusing.

The negative about rumpless is that it too can be leathal if homozygous, and it can cause difficulty in fertility as the rooster has troubles stabilizing for mating.

But you've got a healthy Brahama over an Araucana hen, so F1 shouldn't be a problem.

Nice batch of EE's.

LofMc
Awesome. I’m excited to see now but since they are just chicks I’ll be waiting till next year but now I have a good idea of what to expect. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom