Buff Brahma Rooster Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hillschicks, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Quick question to anyone familiar with the Buff Brahma Roosters.... They are slow to mature... How much?? How old on avg when they would start crowing?? And finally at what age roughly would they be mature enough to mate???

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I have a Buff Brahma roo who is two years old. He began crowing at around five or six months, and he was trying to mate the hens around eight months. It's taken all this time for him to master being able to balance on the hen without falling off on his stupid head. He still manages to flip off over the hen's head, ending up on his back on the ground. Graceful, he's not.

His trouble is he's so huge and the hens are more than half his size so he doesn't have a very big platform. I should think he's not terribly effective getting eggs fertilized.

I would say he's taken a full two years to achieve his full size. For all his clownishness, he's an awfully sweet roo.

3. Hillschicks

Jul 17, 2012
    Awesome... Thank you... Us like many back yarders didnt want a roo and one got slipped into our first chicks... Once you have one and understand their purpose its kind of a must have... Our starter roo was a sebright and he was killed defending his girls... We chose a buff brahma because i figured an 11-12 pounder would put up more of a fight... Just wish he'd start crowin

4. chiefslogan

chiefslogan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2012
    Iowa
    Sometimes no matter what kind of chicks, there is a good possibility of getting a rooster

5. Hillschicks

Jul 17, 2012
    Especially coming from a hatchery... A few people sexing tens of thousands of birds a day... Obviously mistakes happen

6. ilovemy11chicks

ilovemy11chicks New Egg

Jun 21, 2013
    Thanx, that info helped me alot as well i have 2 buff brahmas and 2 light brahmas that are 9 weeks old..i actually thought they were older until i figured it out from the calender i thought they were hens but they are starting to look different .so i think one of buff brahmas and one of the light brahmas are roos....the cones on the top and tails looks different from the hens....wow i thought they were all hens .i also have have 7 red sexlinks and thank god i know they are hens...i only wanted hens ,for their eggs.i was guarenteed 90% females...well now i dont know what to do..i didnt want babies...so im not sure if i should make the roos their own house/space when they get old enough to mate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by