Buff can't stand or lift her head. Not able to eat or drink

yellownumber5

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2016
My chicken was fine one day and the next afternoon was unable to move in her hutch. She can only lift her back and flops never lifting her head. I have been feeding her wet food with serynge and antibiotic water with an eye dropper. My other chickens seem fine. I don't feel an egg. Her poop seemed a little stiff like she was dehydrated but other than that not strange looking. It did have a lot of pebbles in it, but I read that that was normal. Her feathers look healthy. Her eyes look normal. I just can't find anything that it would be. She doesn't seem to have many symptoms besides just inablitly to stand or lift her head.

The same thing happened to one of my Polish. She was fine one day day and then the next couldn't even lift her head. You are doing the right thing by feeding wet food and water. If it is the same thing that happened to mine it could mean that she just got really dehydrated and hungry. Mine was at the bottom of the pecking order so I guess the others wouldn't let her to the food. I didn't notice until she was really weak. I did the same thing as you and after a day or two of feeding her and giving her water she got the strength to lift her head again. Now she is absolutely fine and running around with the other girls. You are doing the right thing yellow number. Keep it up and maybe get up in the night a couple of times to give her some water too. Also, is she still out with the others? If you haven't already, I would bring her into your house/garage (if possible) in a carry case or something to keep her warm. Good Luck, and I hope she gets better.
fl.gif

My chicken was fine one day and the next afternoon was unable to move in her hutch. She can only lift her back and flops never lifting her head. I have been feeding her wet food with serynge and antibiotic water with an eye dropper. My other chickens seem fine. I don't feel an egg. Her poop seemed a little stiff like she was dehydrated but other than that not strange looking. It did have a lot of pebbles in it, but I read that that was normal. Her feathers look healthy. Her eyes look normal. I just can't find anything that it would be. She doesn't seem to have many symptoms besides just inablitly to stand or lift her head.
Can you post some pictures of her and her poo or a video of her actions?
What do you mean by lifting her back? Is this the rear end or her actual back? How is she flopping over, can she stand at all?
What type of feed are you feeding her? Anything changed in her environment - new flock mates, bedding, different treats, etc.
How old is she?
Like @wyandottegirl posted above, isolate her or bring her in and put her in a warm quiet place, so you can monitor her and keep her hydrated.

I have her in a dog kennel with shavings. I took her away from the others as soon as I saw her. The only thing I had to feed her at this time was wet smooshed up dog food. It's the only thing I could get in her. I tried smooshed eggs before that but couldn't get it down her. No she could not stand. I don't have a video. She lifts up with her shoulder area unable to lift her head and falls agian when I touch her too much.

Chicken update:
My chicken is doing slightly better today. Even though I was sure she wasn't egg bound, she had not pooped in two days. I thought I would try a warm bath of Epsom salt water. While bathing she was trying to poop and I noticed that her back end felt literally like a hakey-sack. This is what came out of her in the bath
She is still in pretty bad shape and not eating or drinking on her own. I don't know what to do besides just keep bathing her and hope I can massage all of these rocks out. Has anyone else ever had a constipated chicken full of pebbles. I'm assuming I should stop the antibiotics since she doesn't seem to have an infectious disease and I'm not sure if that would make her constipation worse. Any helpful tips would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom