Buff Cochin Rooster 8 Months Needs Home! So Cal

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Atomic Ranch, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Atomic Ranch

Atomic Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Big boy, pictured here at 7 months. I only have 10 hens, so I don't want them to get too much "rooing"! He finds food for them, sits out to guard them, has never been human-aggressive. I understand that they can change in nature if/when relocated, but this has been my experience with him thus far. Not a big crower, and I had him trained to not do it until he's let out at 9am. We really do like him, but with the bare backs starting to show, I think he needs more ladies [​IMG]

I've never sold any chickens before... don't really want to ship (pick-up only). I'm in El Cerrito (near Corona, Riverside County), at the 91 & 15. If you'd like to come get him, he's yours!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. CSisley

CSisley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Eastern NC
    What a cutie he is! Have you considered getting chicken saddles for your hens?

3. Atomic Ranch

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Thank you! I like him a lot. I've thought about the saddles, but worry that when it's over 100 here in the summer that they'll be way too hot. Do saddles allow air circulation, etc.? Any higher risk of mites? It's a good option. Although, since I'm technically not supposed to have cockerels (I did check with the current neighbors and they don't mind), I figure best to part with him if possible, before other potential difficulties.

4. CSisley

Aug 25, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I bought a few that just cover the back and a little on the sides, but not their underside. I haven't tried them yet but will when my young roosters get old enough to do what roosters do. I had a rooster that I got rid of because he was aggressive towards people. He was just one rooster over ten hens but he managed to do a number on their feathers. When my little roos come of age there will be 2 roos over 25 hens but there are always "favorite hens" so if I start to see a problem again I'll try the saddles out. I think if you got light colored saddles your hens would probably be alright. I honestly feel kinda bad for the adult roosterless hens I have now. Their feathers are back to normal but if I go to pick one up they immediately squat down like “I’m ready!” Poor desperate things!

5. Atomic Ranch

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Hehe, I totally feel the same way. It's just such a tough break for roosters! I love animals, and would someday be interested in hatching naturally. But this morning, his favorite hen was injured. She's an Ameraucana named "Great Heights"... loves to jump up on people. There's a half-dollar sized boo-boo. I think he's just too darned BIG for them. I guess I just raise large birds-- so said some folks who have come to pick up two buff orpingtons. And the Cochin-- extra large! Lol. I'm going to see if I can find a more appropriate home for him; I think that would be best. Maybe down the road, I'll adopt a more mature rooster looking for a home [​IMG]

6. Atomic Ranch

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Quote:P.S. Have you let yours naturally hatch chicks before? I'd love to someday! [​IMG]

7. CSisley

Aug 25, 2011
    Eastern NC
    Atomic,
    No I haven’t, at least not recently; maybe one day. I remember what broody hens were like when I was a little girl because every once in awhile a hen would disappear for awhile and then show up again with a batch of biddies. I think everyone should get to see a mother hen with biddies at least once in their life, they really are something. The hens we had would go after anything to protect their babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by