Buff cochin with torn bleeding wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cochaura, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Cochaura

Cochaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    East Central Minnesota
    Hello everyone. I noticed yesterday that the lower part of our 12-week-old buff cochin's left wing was hanging close to the ground. We looked under his wing and his bone was exposed and there was a little bit of dried blood. He has always been a quiet bird and quite a loner, but before we noticed his wing he was sitting in the corner by himself and showing no interest in coming outside (we only let them out when we are home and sitting out there with them). When he did come outside, he was shaking a little, but he was having fun eating cucumbers and not panting at all. He is still able to move his wing, but it is hard to tell if the bone ripped from the shoulder and the muscle is holding it there or if the bone is still somewhat attached. We mixed some peroxide and water and squirted the wound. We then wrapped his wing against the body with an ace bandage. We put him in a dog kennel in the coop to keep him separated.
    Today when we went out there, he had managed to undo his wrap. He seemed a little better in that he was walking around a lot more and eating up a storm. We didn't re-bandage him immediately to let the wound air out a little. Of course, he pecked at it and it started bleeding. We put an abdominal gauze bandage around him this time and secured the ace bandage a little better also. He is trying to get it off, but without luck. Are we doing the right thing? I'm worried that if the bone is torn completely off, it won't reattach.
    Also, in this case, should we be putting neosporin on the wound? Does it need to air out or is keeping the bandage on and wing in place more important?
    We have 11 araucana/americaunas also and we suspect this may have happened as a result of them jumping on him. We noticed a few were always trying to roost on him in their evening frenzy to get into place. I am actually not sure yet if he is male or female, but I have always thought he's a male. This is our first chicken injury, so any help would be great!
    I know taking him to a vet would be ideal, but its not really an option for us.

2. flashover1969

flashover1969 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm not sure if I would put an external medication on a compound fracture like that. I would use a wound cleaner (iodine, alcohol) to clean the area around the wound and your going to have to try and set the bone and get that broken skin covered.

You can get something like Terramycin (oxytetracycline), which is a broad spectrum antibiotic to combat the secondary infections. The dosage is 300 mg per gallon of drinking water for 7 days.

I'm sure there are many others on the forums who will probably have better recommendations than I do and better treatment methods. Just run a search on the forum for broken wing etc.

3. Cochaura

Cochaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    East Central Minnesota
    Thank you for your advice and input! We were unable to find tetracycline yesterday - is that something you have to get from a vet or do we just need to shop around more? We did get some iodine and put in there. MaxMaxine (the bird's name - sex yet unknown so the kids named him that) is hanging in there. He managed to pull off his bandage again yesterday, but in an internet search I did, I found a woman's site who has black pepper, tiger balm and peroxide in her chicken first aid kit. Her use for the tiger balm is to put it on feathers near a wound, not on the wound, to keep the chickens from pecking at it. They get one little taste of tiger balm and peck no more. Has anyone ever heard of this? I took her advice and put some herbal muscle rub I had laying around on the outside of his bandage - sure enough, he pecked at it once and didn't try again. He wasn't happy, but as of this morning his bandage is still intact! If anyone is wondering about the black pepper, it apparently stops bleeding.
    We are still really worried about him, because we now noticed his breast muscle/meat is completely exposed - it looks like he was half skinned underneath. Is it best in that case to just leave the bandage on for a couple days without messing with it? He is still looking alert, has normal droppings, walks around when we let him out, and still loves his treats:)

sorry I keep going on and on - I'm always told I overexplain everything

I sprinkled basil around on the bedding to help keep the flies away so hopefully there will be no maggot issues. We also put electrolytes in his water to give him an extra boost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by