1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

buff Colombian Wyandotte Bantams... help!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DustyShadow, Oct 9, 2012.

1. DustyShadow

DustyShadow Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Sydney
    hi,
    so i'm looking at purchasing a buff colombian wyandotte bantam off a friend... i'm so excited - it'll be my first show chicken!! (i have a drake, but no chickens!)

i've looked at the NSW Wyandotte color guide, and i'm not 100% sure that its the best hen, but most things seem to match that of a good hen - there are a few feather things that im not too sure about, but otherwise, i'm confident that shes a fine young hen...
    anyway, my friend keeps her in a roofed pen because she lives in the country, and has foxes around, but i have no foxes, and so, no need for a roof... i have a roofed pen, but it contains my golden pheasants, who dont like to be disturbed! so, essentially, i have no roofed pen...

so, what i'm wondering is, are buff colombian wyandotte bantams a flighty bird?? will i need a roofed cage, or will they fly away??

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    how high is the fence/cage?

3. DustyShadow

DustyShadow Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Sydney
    well i'm about 159cm, and so its probably around my height...
    but, within saying that, one of my other hens always find a way to fly over!

4. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    If the fence is 1.5+ meters i do not think the bantam should be able to fly away

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by