1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

buff coloring

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by littlelune810, Dec 5, 2015.

1. littlelune810

littlelune810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2015
    Washington State
    I'm wondering how common the buff color is amongst breeds other than the Orpingtons? I LOVE the color but I don't think I want an Orpington in my flock. Which other breeds commonly have buff colored birds available?

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    There are a number of chicken breeds that come in buff other than just Orpingtons. Other breeds that come in buff off the top of my head are Plymouth Rocks, Cochins, Brahmas, Minorcas, Wyandottes, Silkies, Japanese Bantams, Chanteclers, and Polish (buff laced in this case).

3. littlelune810

Nov 6, 2015
    Washington State

Thank you. I guess I'm wondering how common it is to find buff color. Or how easy it is to find or if you usually have to special order chicks or hunt them down from breeders.

4. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Other than Orpingtons; Cochins, Brahmas, Polish, and Silkies are readily available at hatcheries in buff, and Plymouth Rocks, Japanese Bantmas, and Minorcas are fairly common in buff color. Buff Wyandottes and Chanteclers are considerably less available.

5. littlelune810

Nov 6, 2015
    Washington State
    Thank you. I would love a buff plymouth rock in my future flock. [​IMG]

6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. I know from personal experience that Murray McMurray Hatchery and Ideal Poultry both breed Buff Rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by