1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Buff Cornish

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by JediJinx, Dec 13, 2014.

1. JediJinx

JediJinx Chirping

Jul 24, 2014
    Ohio
    I recently saw an Ebay auction for Buff Cornish hatching eggs. The seller claims they are large birds. I am wondering if anyone has these?

Is Buff a variety of Cornish or would these maybe a hybrid?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Ideal poultry sells them, not sure if they're a SOP color or not but apparently they're not especially rare if you can get them from a hatchery. Quality of the bird may be another thing entirely......

3. JediJinx

JediJinx Chirping

Jul 24, 2014
    Ohio
    I decided against the Dark Cornish and cancelled my order. However, I also sent the guy with the buff cornish eggs an email to see if these were straight Cornish or a cross. They look like a cross of some sort based on his photos. I am not really ready to raise any more chicks right now, but looking forward to raising some meat in the summer. I do not like the idea of the Cornish cross broilers that just lay around and cannot make it long enough to reproduce. I want chickens that have a large breast but that can also get around nicely and fit in with the layers, and can raise the next gen.

Someone told me their dark Cornish were a handful and bullied their other chickens. I definitely don't want that in the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: