Buff death

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Buff Orp, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Buff Orp

Buff Orp New Egg

Feb 7, 2013
    Well yesterday I had my first death. The chicken was killed during the day between the hours of 7 AM and 5 PM. I see no chew marks anywhere except on the rear end of the bird. Whatever was pretty much just ate the rear end and some of the internal organs. Along with an egg That my hen had not yet laid. It looks like it was killed and then drug under a bush about 10 feet away. Any help identifying the culprit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Pete fernBonnie

Pete fernBonnie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    i have come down to the chicken coop and find my chickens all over the yard and one of them (my favorite) Bonnie was flipped over with a egg that she hadnt laid yet in front of her with bite marks on her rump. if you could get me some pictures i could catch the lil culpret.

3. Buff Orp

Buff Orp New Egg

Feb 7, 2013
    I will take a pic when I get home. Thank ya

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  4. Pete fernBonnie

Apr 3, 2012
    welcome i try my best!

5. Buff Orp

Buff Orp New Egg

Feb 7, 2013
    Here she is :-( she was my best layer. I left her out today and whatever it was came back and had seconds. I got 2 live traps today and I'm going to attempt to catch the culprit tonight.

[​IMG]

6. Buff Orp

Buff Orp New Egg

Feb 7, 2013
    Well last night I almost caught a possum and this morning I saw the cat stalking around where my chicken was found dead. So I'm thinking it's one of the two and I will keep trying to catch them let me know what you guys think.

7. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    My vote is possum. In August I lost a Buff in almost exactly the same way you did. The possum came back the next day and I disposed of him.

8. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    P.S. There are plenty of neighborhood cats that come through my backyard and none of them bother the chickens. I think cats generally are not likely to take a chicken. At least tame housecats.

9. Buff Orp

Buff Orp New Egg

Feb 7, 2013
    Thank ya I am set up to dispose of the possum tonight I will probably dispose of the cat as well. It is Feral and has been killing my birds and squirrel for at least 2 years. It is very smart and usually stays far from human sight. Thanks again and I will keep ya posted.

10. Pete fernBonnie

Apr 3, 2012
    it was probably a possum. mine had bite marks like that it was possum:( its ggoodd that you disposed of him she or he probably would have had babies and they would keep killling your chickens nice job and srry for your chicken:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by