Buff duck can't walk

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WoodwardRooster, Feb 18, 2012.

1. WoodwardRooster

WoodwardRooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Ferndale
    Went out to feed the ducks this morning and my female can't walk, she has no strength in her legs. She was totally fine yesterday, I let them in the yard during the day. She is about 7 months old, and has been laying (until this morning.) I got the ducks from ideal last summer, I bought 3 and lost one to a similar problem. I am feeding them 18% duck pellets, which I've been feeding for about a week now (before I was feeding chicken layer mash.) could this be the problem? Should I give her niacin? The male seems totally fine. Thanks!

2. WoodwardRooster

Jun 10, 2010
    Ferndale
    I just went back out to give her some chicken feed. She does not try to eat, and I dipped her bill into the water bowl and she wouldn't drink, which is odd. Could she be sick with something?

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It sounds like a possible egg bound case

4. WoodwardRooster

Jun 10, 2010
    Ferndale
    Thanks. That was my first concern, but her abdomen isn't enlarged and she isn't showing any other symptoms. I've mixed her some hard boiled eggs with some of the chicken feed and given her poly vi sol vitamins. Hopefully this will pass. Anything else I can do?

5. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Can you give her a warm bath?

6. WoodwardRooster

Jun 10, 2010
    Ferndale
    I can, just let her soak? Should I give her mineral oil? I think I read that a long time ago but am not sure.

7. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    I just let my Goose soak for over a half hour with my supervision. After that she recovered rather rapidly but I'm not sure if it will work for your situation but it's worth I try. I've never heard of the mineral oil but hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

8. WoodwardRooster

Jun 10, 2010
    Ferndale
    I have her in the tub now... I can't believe the things we do for animals :) When i saw her this morning her legs were out behind her, and its how she has been laying all day. She seems to be moving them now in the water. I've attached a couple of pictures, maybe that will help in figuring out the issue. Thanks![​IMG][​IMG]

9. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    I'd say she was egg bound too. Especially if she didnt lay the same morning she got all sick and numb. Poor gal! It seems like your doing everything right though so good job!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  10. WoodwardRooster

Jun 10, 2010
    Ferndale
    Thanks! I felt an egg, so I went to the store to get some mineral oil, when I got home the egg was in the tub! She is acting better (quacking, alert, ect.) and she is eating a lot, but she still won't walk. Maybe that took a bit out of her and she will be better in a while? Her mate seems lost right now without her (I have her in the house I'm a tote.) I will be getting a 3rd duck now just in case something happens to one of them. Thanks for the help and I'll keep you posted

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by