Buff duck question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckieTam, Sep 22, 2012.

1. DuckieTam

DuckieTam Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    Battle Mountain, NV
    Hello all I am new to BYC. I have lurked on the site many times, since this is the place I have found many of my questions answered. I do have a question about one of my buff ducks I have two buff ducks one I know is a female (older and laying eggs), I can't decide on the gender of the 2nd buff. At what age does a drake start to get a darker head? My duck Dot is only 10 weeks old, and I was convinced it was a she. I noticed that it seems "her" head is getting darker starting at the bill. I would really love Dot to be a drake. Here is a picture of "her". if anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

[​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Does she make a raspy noise or a loud quack?

3. DuckieTam

Sep 22, 2012
    Battle Mountain, NV
    I have tried to listen to her quack. But every time I try to get her to quack my Daffy duck or the goose will start talking to us. I keep going back and forth on her gender. I probably should just wait until either she has a definite darker head or starts to lay eggs on me.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    When she's chatting is it in a very soft voice? If so then she is a defiantly a boy. Also eventually if it's a boy it will get a curl at the end of it's tail.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Pick her up and carry her around for a few seconds. Be careful not to squeeze. They will almost always quack while you are carrying them.

Raspy ratchet sound is a male, quack is a female.

6. DuckieTam

Sep 22, 2012
    Battle Mountain, NV
    Dot is female. Thanks for the inputs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by