Buff duck won't poop or quack

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lavender lady, Jul 8, 2016.

1. lavender lady

lavender lady New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    I have a one year old female Buff Duck. She hasn't pooped in days that I can tell. I have her isolated from the other birds. I put her in warm bath last night and she pooped a little bit. She's also not quacking.3 days ago she had numerous seizures. Today she ate some slugs I gave her and "played" in the mud. I'm giving her vitamins and electrolytes and olive oil in case there's a blockage. Any other suggestions or idea would be much appreciated.

2. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    You could try a food-grade charcoal slurry, although I've never had this situation so I'm not sure exactly how to deal with it. Is she acting normal in every other way? Was her poop bloody? And did you isolate her only when she started acting wierd, or before?

3. lavender lady

lavender lady New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    I isolated her when I noticed her just not acting like herself. Kind of lethargic and quiet.It's been 6 days now she gives a little quack when she's in the tub... no noticeable poop except in the tub...not eating and very wobbly on her feet.

4. Jujubeans2008

Jujubeans2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    Has she laid an egg? It sounds like she could be egg bound.

I have a chicken that is prone to being egg bound. For her, we give her a nice long soak in a warm tub with epsom salt, calcium pills (which will help her pass an egg if it is stuck), and we've also put preparation h in her vent (with gloves) to help the swelling so the egg would come out easier. We also gave her some poly-vi-sol for good measure. Then we put her in a nice dark room to deactivate her egg maker. After treatment, she always passes it by morning time.

5. lavender lady

lavender lady New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    No she hasn't laid any eggs for at least a week now. She's not hunched over or anything. I've been putting her in warm bath every evening. I'm taking her to a vet today.

6. lavender lady

lavender lady New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Vet gave me an anti-inflammatory. Took x-rays. Says there is an egg in there but she's not sure if Dot (the duck) is "egg-bound" wanted to test for botulism and lead poisoning but after spending $500 already I figured we'd go with the anti-inflammatory/pain meds and warm baths.I also got a tube to "force-feed"her as it appears there are no obstructions. Also still giving vitamins and niacin. I'll add Epsom salts to bath but would appreciate more information on "calcium pills" specific ones for ducks?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    From what we have seen and done, there are different forms of calcium given to ducks.

Neocalglucan. This is a prescription supplement, liquid.
    Calcium gluconate. Over the counter, liquid, 23% solution.
    Calcium citrate. Tablets. Over the counter.
    Tums. Usually used in a pinch, emergency situation.

I pretty much use calcium citrate when there is a soft egg issue. I might start with 100 to 150 mg ground up and added to treats once a day, then drop to 50 to 80 mg once a day until egg shells have been normal for several days.

We have not had soft eggs in quite a while . . . a few thin shells, but there for a while we were seeing soft eggs, sometimes three a day. I switched food. At the same time I want to point out that I feel that different ducks have different nutritional needs, and what works for one may not work for the other.

Also, my ducks used to poop in their oyster shell bowl and then avoid the oyster shell. I have now mounted an oyster shell container about five or six inches off the floor. They cannot poop in it. They are eating much more oyster shell. I also put treats in there with the shell in the evening, and they gobble it up, eating a little shell as they do.

8. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Amiga, what do you use to hold the oyster shell? I offered mine in sheep feeding pans, but they run over them and spill it all in the shavings.

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I will upload photo's of my homemade elevated oyster shell dishes. Very, uhm, low budget.

One is a Ziplok reusable square container, one is a cut-down (and nicely contoured) empty vinegar jug.

I should be able to do this by this evening if all works out.

10. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Also do ducks need water to swallow grit and oyster shell?
    Just wondering because mine free range all day, and are fed free choice during the day, but have no water or food at night because shavings get so wet so fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by