buff ducks or not?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JAPJRGIRL21, Jan 20, 2011.

1. JAPJRGIRL21

JAPJRGIRL21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    okay so as usual, I am in need of advice...the larger ducks are supposedly my buff ducks...the smaller ones are their eggs I have hatched out...some of these things is not like the others...I do not have any other ducks, so are my buff ducks not pure?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

That drake sure has a pretty colour to him. Sorry cant comment if they are pure or not, but they sure are pretty

3. K9Carrie

K9Carrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Lodi, California
    I am also too new to ducks to answer. No matter what they are beauties!!!![​IMG]

4. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    If that is what you hatched out then they are not pure. Buff ducks breed true. What you may have there is someone who checked online to try to find out what type of ducks they have, saw the buff color, and assumed that they had Buffs, that their Blacks were Cayugas, that their mottled blacks were Swedes, etc. I've had that happen a lot to me when I go looking at supposedly pure stock that someone has.

5. JAPJRGIRL21

JAPJRGIRL21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    That was my concern...I too had read that the buff duck breeds true...any idea what I have?

6. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    i think they kinda look like a khaki campbell and buff mix? how well do they lay?

7. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Odds are they are a Khaki cross that came out buff colored. It could be a cross with a Pekin, Harlequin, or just some random mutt duck that produced the buff color. Just like with anything, a mixed flock of ducks will produce a rainbow of babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by