Buff found down totally lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickee Mama, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Chickee Mama

Chickee Mama New Egg

Aug 16, 2014
    Came home found one of my buff Orpington's snugged down on the ground near the poop hole as if she was in the nest. Picked her up which is totally unusual. My chickens usually resist a bit being picked up. I held her in one hand and she did not resist. No wet weepy eyes. No rattle in breathing. Checked her butt. She was wet, slight discharge. No smell. Felt crop, full. Felt under belly, soft, She is totally submissive. I separated her immediately from the flock. Have her inside house in a pet carrier. Hasn't made a sound. I know she is not 'broody' , not acting like a broody hen. I 'm stumped. Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  2. DotCom

DotCom New Egg

Mar 16, 2015
    Same thing happened with our Austrolop today. She just passed. Seemed fine yesterday, but today her comb went white and she slowly went. We tried to check for a stuck egg, but couldn't feel it. Tried a water bath too. She gave a few double yolks over the last two weeks, so I worry something went wrong in that track.

3. Chickee Mama

Chickee Mama New Egg

Aug 16, 2014
    Thank you for answering. I appreciate your curtesy and the information. I believe the same thing about my Ms. Flo. That discharge looked like egg white, there was absolutely not odor, but I did not know how to do the check for egg bound. She was pretty far gone by the time I got home from work at 6 pm. Poor thing didn't make it through the night. Thanks again...............Have a splendid day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by