Buff goslings skittish

jblee

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
Arizona
I got 2 female(I believe) Buff goslings about a week ago. They seem alittle skittish from us. They come up to the side of the Rubbermaid brooder but dont like to be picked up. They run and cower alittle in the corner when we put our hand in. We held them a decent amount the first few days and keep them in the garage now so they always see us as well I go out mulitple times a day to check on them and always talk to them. Is this fairly normal? I know our chicks did that to a certain degree but now that they are outside I can walk right up to the Orpingtons not Wyandottes, and pick them up and no problems. Any ideas?

Last edited:
It's normal.
Definitely instinct for (some) goslings to run when they see you. If you got them from a hatchery, the only time they were handled was to be sexed, put in a box, and shipped.

Keep working on it!
My best suggestions are to get them diapers and have them live in your house with you.
Clicker training also does good things for birds if done correctly. Remember, food can almost always win over an animal. Be persistent and don't hold them for long when first working with them. You always want hugging and holding to be positive experiences.

You are quite a bit bigger than they, and if you were REALLY mama you'd never pick them up. Some get used to it, some never do. I only pick mine up to take them outside or put them in the bath, otherwise I reach in and scratch them on the front of their breasts. Mine don't seem to like getting their backs touched or having my hand over them.

Quote:
Yeah this seems to be just like mine. They are perfectly fine around us just not when we grab or put our hands out to pet or hold them. I dont necessarily want them to be jumping all over us just not mean when they grow up because they never got used to us.

I dont necessarily want them to be jumping all over us just not mean when they grow up because they never got used to us.

Actually, you have that reversed. Most reports of "mean" geese are from imprinted birds that are TOO used to people and think they're flock-mates. They then try to assert their dominance.

Clint

Quote:
Thats good than, cause I want them to be friendly but definetly dont want them thinking I am a tall stange looking goose who they can treat as one. So maybe things are right were they should be. I'll just keep doing what I am doing and see how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom