Buff Hen eggs missing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buffrington, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Buffrington

Buffrington Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi all

I am kind off surprised, I went and bought laying pellets for my hens and they seem to like it very much. I hear the egg laying cluck and went and checked and there was an egg from one of my hens, I am planning on keeping the eggs for the hen to incubate eventually. This morning I went to check if all is okay in the coop etc, gone was the egg, there are no way a predator could have been in the coop as well as no evidence of one off my chickens eating the egg. What could have happened?

Am now starting to think I should incubate the eggs myself if this would be the case.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Did you see the squirrel stealing eggs thread? Maybe you also had a little visitor :)

3. Buffrington

Aug 5, 2013
    Thank you for the reply..I have to say that where I live in South Africa, the only predators able to get in my coop are my two little boy's. I am just seriously concerned and disapointed.

4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Lol. Yeah we don't have them here in Australia either. I wondered because you said no predators but squirrels didn't really fit in that catagory. When folk say predators I now picture bears and raccoons and foxes. All those big things.

Snakes?? But again they'd have to be able to squeeze in somehow. Not sure how big a hole they need or how skinny a snake can eat a chicken egg though.

5. Buffrington

Aug 5, 2013
    Snakes I doubt as well, I think I am going to put an egg in one of the nests and place a camera to catch the culprit, Some might say it is a bit over reacting, but I don't, I need them eggs :) [​IMG]

6. shotgunfairy

shotgunfairy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    apex. north carolina
    A lot of the times if its a snake and you have a nice safe coop the snake with the egg can't fit the in the same hole and cant get out an you find it in the morning.

7. Buffrington

Aug 5, 2013
    I'll keep an eye and see if I can spot the eggs tomorrow morning. I have taken 2 eggs from the fridge and marked them with aa pensel and placed them in the same nest hoping someone or something will try to get them.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Please keep us posted!!

9. Buffrington

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi,

A few day's later and there are now 5 eggs in the nest, I had to take 2 eggs from the fridge and placed them in one nest, Th's morning I have taken them out and hopefully their 5 will continue to grow.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by