Buff Hooligans, about your coop/run

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
On the chicken t.v. thread I saw the picture of your coop and starting running around screaming...honey! HONEY! come look!! This is EXACTLY what I want my coop to look like!!!
wee.gif

The SO (the redneck, commercial chicken grower SO) looks at the screen and says...yeah right!
gig.gif

By the end of the conversation we had an agreement...I do the carpentry, he'll do the saw work for me (my hands are too weak for it) and I do the rest. I think I'm getting the best of this deal....I think
hu.gif

Anyhow, wanted to tell you it looks great! Mind if I copy it?

Hey Gritsar - I just now saw your thread! Thanks so much for the compliment - you made my morning. Wait until my hubby hears!

Yes, go ahead and copy it. It was a pre-existing structure when we got it - we just replaced all the rotten stuff and added the white trim, drip edge, and made a chicken door with gangplank below the pre-existing window on that one side.

Do you want more pictures? Gee, you really made my day. Thanks!

Yes, that would be great Buff. I took the liberty of saving that one pic to my desktop so I can look at it some more. Also, I love all the plants you have planted around it. I recognize hollyhocks, I think. Are those some bean plants I see as well?
Thanks in advance for making the effort to supply me with pics.
smile.png

Here's a link to my personal page which features the coop, in case you haven't seen it yet. I'll get more detailed pics next week for you, including some structural ones when we had first torn off the old wood. That might help you design the supports. Now I wish I had taken MORE.

viewblog.php

Last edited:
Gritsar, I planted the pots at the end of the chicken run because we have neighbors immediately in back of our house, and I didn't want to have the run look like a mini-penitentiary. They were very agreeable about us having chickens, so I wanted to give them something pretty to look at.

The pots have coleus, white cosmos, red geraniums, and scarlet runner beans (you were right about the beans). The geraniums lasted the longest into the colder season.

Hi Buff, I also paged you awhile ago but I guess you didn't see it. I also love your coop! Your link in the post above doesn't work, would you mind re-posting it?

Thanks!!

What a BEAUTIFUL set up! I really love that run. I was going to use welded 2 x 4 wire for my runs, but I think the hardware cloth is a better idea. How did you build that run? What kind of boards did you use? Did you build the frames and then attach them, or did you build the frames where they sit? How did you attach the wire to the frames, I see what looks like some really big headed nails. Questions questions......

Hi Halo:

Another option is to use some of each type wire. We used hardware cloth for the bottom 3' (to keep preds from reaching in) and 2x4 on the top (it's MUCH cheaper, and MUCH better visibility for watching the chickens!!!) Here is a pic:

wholecoop.jpg

and more pics here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1766-Our_Garage_Coop

The
board between the two gives something to staple the wire edges to (on the inside), and strengthens the structure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom