Buff in the box

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Buffarino, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Buffarino

Buffarino Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2007
    Rocklin
    My 6 yr.old Buff Orp has pretty much stayed in her nest box 24/7 for the last couple of weeks. I get her out, make sure she drinks, eats, etc. Her poop appears normal,little runny. She'll eat and drink like she is starving and thirsty. When I get her out of the box, she fluffs way up and cluck "growls" at me the whole time. She picks at her self, but it might be normal preening after sitting for so long, in the box. She has scratched around her eyes so much, she has black scabbing. I have checked her for fleas and mites and don't see any. She did this once before & I took her to the vet, got meds and gave them to her. Unlike past experiences, she fought hard with the meds. After a few weeks, she was back to her old self; right as rain. I don't want to take her to the vet again. I bought some Adams flea/tick mist, but hate to give it to her if I don't have to. I am gone out of town working 4 days, so not here to check. Do you think I should hold off with the misting and maybe she is just moulting in her own way or give it to her? I hate to have her be miserable all week. Thank you.

2. paperdragonfarm

paperdragonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Albany
    It sounds like she's broody to me. Though the scabbing is concerning..How long did she stay like this the first time?

3. Buffarino

May 10, 2007
    Rocklin
    Over a month, believe it or not! Then she was out one morning and back to normal.

4. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    [​IMG] Your hen sounds broody to me too. She just needs some eggs to hatch...

5. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Love my Critters! :

[​IMG] Your hen sounds broody to me too. She just needs some eggs to hatch...

x2...yep she is broody!!! She needs some eggs to sit on to hatch! [​IMG]

6. Buffarino

May 10, 2007
    Rocklin
    Thanks very much! I'll take the flea mist back. [​IMG]

7. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    [​IMG]...you might want to gather some fertile eggs for her too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by