Buff-Laced Brahmas 5 to 7 weeks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tao chick, Sep 8, 2015.

1. tao chick

tao chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    I know that Brahmas are difficult to sex early on. I have two buff-laced that hatched August 1st and this thread will have lots of pictures over the next several weeks to help identify their genders. These are from today. I'll get better close ups soon. The first picture has a Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel and the last pictures have a BCM cockerel. One of the Brahmas is much larger than the other. They both have some lacing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Nothing's screaming cockerel from the pics, but it's too early to call pullet yet, especially with these big birds.

What you'll be looking for earliest is three rows of ridges or bumps on those pea combs. There are lots of pictures of Easter eggers' combs (same style) on the boards, so you can familiarize yourself with what you're looking for. Males will also have darker shading of buff on the wings, longer thicker legs.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree. :eek:)

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree also

6. tao chick

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    7 weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm still stumped. Their legs are not huge. The largest of the two has darker color, but still buff, and has a wider comb, but still only one yellow row growing. The smallet of the two still has lighter coloring, and a small single comb, but it's redder than the other. To add to this, I don't trust the breeder I got the eggs from. Her BCMs had many flaws. So, what do you think?

7. tao chick

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    As for combs, my mixed breed (EE) has a larger clearly red three row pea comb. My Ameraucana has a flat comb, but is male.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. tao chick

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    I'd be so disappointed if they're both cockerels. But, such it is with hatching chickens.

9. tao chick

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    8 weeks old. I believe that's three rows of peas on both of them, and the shoulders continue to get darker red. Is there any chance these are pullets or should I start figuring out which one is a better roo to keep?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by