buff laced polish

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by one cool chick, Jan 16, 2009.

1. one cool chick

one cool chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    USA
    [​IMG] are buff laced polish chickens good pets or are they just fun to look at. do your buff laced polish chickens act CRAZY like every one says they are? [​IMG]

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Iv'e only had one polish bantam and had to rehome. it was raised with the rest but was really unfriendly and the others would not stop plucking her head bald. No matter what products i used to get them to stop it did not matter. I was told it's not good to have polish in with other breeds. I know some people do and it works out just fine but others have had the same problem.

3. jhmoore

jhmoore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    Holly, Michigan
    I have a white crested black polish (Sophie) and a silver laced polish (Panni) in a mixed flock currently. They are most definitely submissive to the rest of the flock, and the white crested was picked on horribly. I currently have her inside, while she grows the feathers back on her head (something attracts the others to the white crest feather, which may be similar with a buff laced). Size wise, they are a good 1-2 pounds smaller than the rest of my flock, so they are easily pushed around. My husband (as we speak/write) is building a separate coop for my polish. I can't risk Sophie being picked on so severly again, and Panni is pushed around as well.

If you want polish, I'd suggest getting all polish. They are very cute, and mine are the friendliest of my birds (except my golden laced wyandotte). I think people see them as flighty because they can act spooky. But, in my opinion,that's just because they can't really see what's sneaking up on them until it's really close. I love my polish, and wouldn't get rid of them for anything. But, if I could do it again, I would have all polish. Good luck with your decision.

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

The problem with any crested bird is there lack of being able to see do to all the feathers. With a steady hand you can trim them back. The also seem to rank really low on the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by