Buff Laced Polish

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dcheam, Aug 13, 2010.

1. dcheam

dcheam New Egg

Jul 15, 2010
    I ordered 25 chicks from Mcmurray and they sent me a special assorted box of chicks. We didn't know the species of any chicks until 3 months later. I had some of my city friends come over and take pictures of them, my friends are just amazed and we had fun with the picture session.

[​IMG]
    this chick is the only one that is its own kind, buff laced polish, an 'exotic chick' given free by Mcmurray with the purchase of 25 chicks. It end up that other chicks are picking on this one and he couldn't get near to the bulb. It won't eat and drink like others, just chirping all the time. My landlord told me that it will not live through the night, so i picked him up and put him in a sock to keep him warm. i gave him a mirror too, and he mistaken that he has a companion.

[​IMG]
    This picture was taken by a professor in the math department at my university as a photo for his new book about digital imaging.

[​IMG]
    We decided to call him 'pine-apple' for his big crowny head. He went to sleep shortly.

[​IMG]
    I didn't know chicks can sleep this way ...

[​IMG]
    For the first day, it kept chirping, people said it is trying to look for his mother or brother/sisters, the frequency in its chirp is different from other species. I do notice that among 25 chicks, there are at least 2~3 of the same kind except this one. So i kept it in a white socks, holding it close to my chest and watch TV. I think he felt the warmth of my hands so he didn't chirp any more, but once i let it sit on the table, it starts 'crying' again ...

[​IMG]
    Later i tried a black sock, it worked for a while, so i tried putting some weight (more black socks) on it and lay it under a 70W lamp. It did the trick, he thinks he's underneath the hen and went to sleep. This picture is taken after ... 4~5 days. He didn't need the socks anymore ...

2. deuce11705

deuce11705 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Jacksonville
    OMG... Adorable!!!! [​IMG]

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Precious. [​IMG] Those pictures are amazing, btw.

Your chick looks very much like my Buff Laced Polish that I got from Murray McMurray towards the end of March. Do you know if your chick is male or female?

This is my Dorota as a little fuzzy.

[​IMG]

I'll try to get an updated picture of her, she's over 4 months old now. For hatchery stock I think she has beautiful lacing, I hope your baby grows up to be pretty too!

4. dcheam

dcheam New Egg

Jul 15, 2010
    Quote:I can't tell if it is male / female when it is a chick, only when it grows up, it look more like a rooster than a hen. He likes to play 'fight' with other rooster, and has a long tail. Hens are more submissive and they tend to walk away when challenged.

5. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Adorable!!!

6. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

McMurray sent me a self white polish hen as

my free exotic chick. 8 weeks old now & running the yard with the rest all day long. looks like yours but its hair is parted in the middle & has bluish legs

7. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I took some pictures of Dorota today, she's a mess, I caught her while she was dust bathing in the grow out pen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Omg! That is the cutest little thing!! I just want to pinch his little cheeks!! [​IMG]

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    dc, thanks for sharing those adoreable pictures! Very sweet!

10. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    OMG I have never seen a chick lay like that before! That is SOOOOO CUUUUTEEE!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by