Buff laced Wyandottes

yoker

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
Hi,
I was wondering whether anyone has ever bred buff laced Wyandottes?
Could you breed a Buff Wyandotte with a SLW and get a BLW?
And I heard that 25% BLRW are BLW.
Hope this makes sense.

Good questions. I don't know either, but I do have Wyandottes of several colors. When I have bred my SLW to buff colored things they always have black in them. This year I am going to breed the GLW to my buffs and see what I get. I also want to try the BLRW to the buffs and see. I hope I don't get blue or black in all of them. I'll just have to wait and see.
smile.png

Yes--- I bred various colours of wyandottes in Britain. I had blue laced red wyandottes from Germany. The buff laced wyandottes which came from these had rather dirty lacing due to its being splash. They can be bred to silver laced wyandottes to make some blue laced silver (they were called violet laced in Britain for some reason). Silver laced male on buff (splash) laced female will give violet laced female offspring but rather messy colour on males due to their being heterozygous silver/gold. It is necessary to put the violet laced female offspring back to silver laced male.

I don't know whether this has been done in USA but I made buff laced wyandotte using dominant white instead of splash; the lacing colour was much nicer.

Hwyl fawr
Krys

I have a strange looking hen that came out of a batch of blrw hens and a glw roo. She looks red but with lighter red or buff lacing.

It was my understanding that buff laced is a color separate from BLRW splash, since all the white-looking splashes are in fact still genetically blue. The reason they appear white is due to the dosage effect of the doubling of the blue gene in successive generations, but when bred back to blue or black laced, the offspring will be of a darker shade than the splash parent. I've done this myself with this result. Buff laced in the US probably uses dominate white, but I'm not sure.

I do know that buff laced Polish uses dominate white, and you can get gold laced from two buff laced parents. I found this out when I got some gold laced babies and couldn't figure out why!
lol.png

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you breed a BLR roo to SLW hens, don't you get sex-linked BLRW females? I'm not sure what color males you get, but I was told they're all sorts of colors.

I'd really like to see the hen with the odd lacing. Is there any particular reason you're using a GLW roo with your BLR girls?

since all the white-looking splashes are in fact still genetically blue

That's not quite accurate. the colour called blue is the heretozygous form Bl/bl+ meaning that the bird has one blue gene & one not blue gene (i.e.black); the homozygous form Bl/Bl is called splash. i.e. when both genes are the same the colour is called splash; it shows as a very pale whitish blue most frequently with flecks of blue. If a splash laced bird, Bl/Bl is bred with a blue laced bird Bl/bl+ the offspring will be approx 50% blue laced & 50% splas hlaced (often called buff laced). If splash laced is bred with a black laced bird (bl+/bl+) all of the offspring will all be genetically blue laced. i.e. Bl/bl+. I don't think buff laced in US is dominant white but cannot be certain.

I do know that buff laced Polish uses dominate white, and you can get gold laced from two buff laced parents

If a bird has homozygous dominant white lacing & is bred with another bird with homozygous dominant white lacing (or even heterozygous) all the offspring will be also have dominant white lacing.
But if each of the birds is heterozygous for dominant white. Meaning that each bird has only one gene for dominant white then apporx 25% of the offspring have the possibility of not inheriting any dominant white gene & could thus be gold laced. i.e. with black lacing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you breed a BLR roo to SLW hens, don't you get sex-linked BLRW females? I'm not sure what color males you get, but I was told they're all sorts of colors.

Yes, one does get sex linked offspring from that cross but it isn't terribly useful apart from the point of sexing at hatch.
If one breeds a blue laced red male on a silver laced hen one will get, broadly speaking, gold/red females of which approx 50% will have blue lacing & 50% will have black lacing & males will be rather oddly coloured (intermediate colour),approx 50% of which will have blue lacing & 50% will have black lacing.
Rather better to do the SLW on the BLR female;)

What being splash?

Splash is the name for a bird carrying two of what is called blue gene (Bl/Bl). The colour called blue is the result of having one blue gene & one black gene,(Bl/bl+).

Hwyl fawr
Krys​

That's not quite accurate.

Well, no, I realized that after I wrote it it's not quite accurate, but if you're breeder of blue birds, you know what I mean...even though it looks white, genetically it's still very pale splash, not truly white. Sorry if I've confused anyone.

I think both of my buff laced Polish must be heterozygous. I've gotten more gold laced than buff laced, but I wouldn't have gotten the gold laced otherwise. At least I know now.​

So confusing.
Could you just answor My First ?'s
and any other ways of geting Buff laced Wyandottes?

Back
Top Bottom