Buff / Lavender Mix creating Blue Cuckoo Silkie? Updated photos.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by StrawberryHouseMouse, May 16, 2009.

1. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Ive been taking photos of this bird, keeping track of its feathering evolution almost every week. At 3 weeks old now its really looking amazing. Starting out as a blue silkie (with lavender/buff parents). Now showing more and more of what seems to be a cuckoo pattern every day with each new feather. I absolutely love this bird. Any and all comments is welcomed. I have no idea what to lable this bird. I dont even know if its cuckoo patterns or if its silver. Either way what I do know is that its crazy. [​IMG]

(P.S. I have 6 others that are siblings. One of which I will post a photo of along with the little blue cuckoo chick. It's another I'm in love with.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Well I don't know much about chicken genetics, but I would like to say that those are two cute little chickies! [​IMG]

4. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG] Im still learning myself. Some times I feel so dumb while trying to talk to people about genetics. Cause a lot of its all like greek to me lol

5. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I emailed the guy that I got these chicks from and asked him if he gets any more like the little blue one to let me know. I had to drive 3 hours to get to him but I would gladly do it again if I could get more of the silkies like in the first post. if they proved to produce more when breed together we might have something going on here. A new variety perhaps.

6. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    cmon I know there's a lot of genetic experts out here that can help me T.T

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    cmon I know there's a lot of genetic experts out here that can help me T.T

Hey, it was Saturday--errand running, [​IMG]

Was there any sort of head spot on Little Blue? Or did s/he have back stripes?

Pretty little girl, too.​

8. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Right now its kind of hard to tell if the head feathers are going to be different. Here is a photo of what it looked like when I first got it. You can see it looked very much like just a regular blue, all except for the white around the eyes.

[​IMG]

9. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    How cool is that! Can't wait to see it all feather (fluffed) out.

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    if the parents are buff and lavender-what makes it a cuckoo??? Is that what that conbo is named? I've seen the word cuckoo used a few times and I'm still confused..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by